Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
add potassium permanganate to water softener

Posted by fraterain (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 23, 06 at 18:15

I was told that I could add potassium permanganate to my water softener salt reservoir and that would help to regenerate my water softener system. It looks like a nasty purple mess when you add it to water. What will this do to my water softener?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: add potassium permanganate to water softener

I would not add that to your brine solution tank or any other way with the intent of "cleaning" your softener.

I have never heard of anyone doing this or advising anyone else to do it.

There are other chemicals you can add to your brine tank to assist in cleaning the resins or disinfecting. I don't know if potassium permangante will do any damage.

Check the link below and ask questions there for specific reaction of chemicals to resins.

http://www.puroliteusa.com/fr_bulletinboard.htm
Andy

Here is a link that might be useful: resin link

o
RE: add potassium permanganate to water softener

Potassium Permanganate (PP) is normally used to re-oxygenate a greensand filter, which is used to oxidize sulfur gas and iron.

PP will permanently stain your brine tank and the innards of your resin tank (the softener itself). I would expect that the stain coating it places on the resin will negatively affect the resin's ability to take on sodium ions during your softener's regeneration process.

No sodium ions on resin = No softening ability.

I would advise you to NOT place PP in your softener's brine tank.

If you wish to clean your softener's bed, you can use a small amount of Iron Out (laundry additive that dissolves ferric iron that can accumulate within the resin tank) to clean it up. I think 1/4 cup dumped down the brine well 1 hour prior to regeneration will clean it up nicely (provided the resin bed is not already blocked by iron, a condition that occurs in softeners in which the salt level in the brine tank has not been religiously kept filled).

Hope this helps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here