Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bc15eagle

Softener Plan Look Reasonable?

bc15eagle
12 years ago

I am replacing a McClean single tank softener that is leaking after being shoved. We have city water that measured 11 hardness, .2 chlorine, and 357 TDH. We have 55 psi measured pressure with the existing softener in bypass and we have a 1 inch supply. We have 5 people in the home and should have for at least the next 4 years. I will be adding a RO system near the kitchen for drinking and ice, so minimizing pressure loss in the whole system is important.

Kinetico came by. She did not convince me to get her Kinetico or her Clack or Fleck offerings, largely because she seemed imprecise on her sizing methodology and product details.

I am leaning towards a Fleck 7000sxt at 40K. If this is reasonable, isthere value in the sst-60 resin? Our water bill is high, especially in summer with irrigation in use, and adding the RO will spin the water meter even faster. I understand sst-60 can reduce water if the system is properly set up, but I don't want to fall victim to marketing or get something that will take excessive effort to configure. Any value in the "vortech" type tube that also claims to have waste water reduction?

Any important details I am missing?

Thanks!

Comments (11)

• User
    12 years ago

11 gpg hardness with no iron or manganese and 5 people in the house a 1.5 cu ft softener with a Fleck 7000SXT is a good choice. If you set it up for efficiency you should be happy.

No need for SST60.

Your RO will have much less impact on your water bill than you think.

Questions...

How many bathrooms in the house?
    Any water hog appliances like a Jacuzzi?
    Are you irrigating with untreated or softened water?

• bc15eagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We have 3 bathrooms and no water hogs. Fortunately the irrigation splits off before the softener.

I appreciate the help.

• User
    12 years ago

OK then, a 1.5 cube softener with a Fleck 7000SXT is a good choice and so is a Clack WS1. Either one will match up nicely to your 1" supply and both have great programming flexibility.

The key to happiness is a sano install and setting up the softener to operate efficiently.

• bc15eagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Before I pull the trigger on the Fleck, I will try to find a local Clack dealer I can work with to get a proposal for a WS1. Thanks.

• User
    12 years ago

You said Kinetico sold Clack? Tell her exactly what you want and have her quote you a price...

1.5 cu ft softener with Purolite or Sybron hi-capacity resin

Fleck 7000SXT or Clack WS1 with appropriate convectors.to the plumbing (they both come with their proprietary bypass valves)

top basket for control valve

gravel underbed (don't be talked out of it)

brine tank with Fleck 2310 safety float/brine valve

• bc15eagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The local Kinetico salesperson said she would also sell me Clack, Fleck, or Autotrol. She was very imprecise on her sizing and was happy with regen every 3 days.

What is the top basket for the control valve?

I see little reference to gravel in other sites. How important is it?

• User
    12 years ago

""The local Kinetico salesperson said she would also sell me Clack, Fleck, or Autotrol. She was very imprecise on her sizing and was happy with regen every 3 days"

You don't need her to size the softener... a 1.5 cube unit is the right size and regeneration frequency for single resin tank softeners that are correctly sized are optimum at 7-8 days as long as there is NO iron or manganese in the water.

"What is the top basket for the control valve?"

It is a basket with slots like on the bottom of the distributor tube that prevents resin from escaping the resin tank.

"I see little reference to gravel in other sites. How important is it?"

Gravel underbed reduces pressure loss. It is a positive with no negatives except the softener sellers have to pay for it. It is usually provided at no charge if requested.

If it wasn't important I wouldn't have mentioned it or said "gravel underbed (don't be talked out of it)"

You are the customer... tell her exactly what you want and ask for a price.

• bc15eagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The new Clack WS1 1.5 ft3 softener is in. I have read enough to know that I need to program it for greater efficiency. The installer was very thorough with the installation, and helping to spec the equipment, but he didn't understand why I wanted to change the salt from 15 pounds default. I was also not smart enough to explain it to him.

As a refresher, we have 5 people in the house. The city water has tested at 7 and 11 gpg hardness at different times. No iron.
    I would like to change the programming for better salt efficiency.

Justalurker, you've been a big help so far. Can you help with my programming?

• User
    12 years ago

"I was also not smart enough to explain it to him"

Actually you were smart enough to not explain it to him. He wouldn't have believed you.

Set hardness @ 11
    Set capacity at 27300
    Set salt dose @ 8
    Set calendar override @ 8

You'll regenerate every 7 or 8 days and be getting about 3400 grains removed per pound of salt... VERY efficient.

• bc15eagle
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I appreciate the help! It's all reprogrammed and on the job.

• User
    12 years ago

May the soft be with you...