Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toilet cleaning smell

Posted by Shawn-123 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 17:53

Hello,

I have a new house (2012) with several bathrooms. One of the bathrooms had an issue with the toilet being installed very crooked, which the builder fixed prior to closing. However, now whenever I clean the toilet in that bathroom (e.g., with The Works-type chemicals) the chemical smell from the cleaner is almost overwhelming and takes several days to dissipate (even with the bathroom fan on). This does not happen in the other two bathrooms in the house, including one that is on the other side of the wall as the problem bathroom.

The builder's warranty will expire soon. Is this something that could be caused by the toilet being installed improperly? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Shawn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toilet cleaning smell

Sounds like you have good ventilation, which should get rid of the smell pretty quickly after cleaning. My guess is that you are leaving a pool of cleaner somewhere in the bathroom and it continues to emit vapors until it dries. I would check that the base of the toilet is sealed to the floor with caulk to prevent liquids from going under the toilet, then very slowly drying. Similarly, if the cleaning solution is getting through the flooring or under/behind the baseboards.

If this is happening from cleaning inside the bowl and not outside, then you probably have leakage around the wax ring. Potentially when they straightened the toilet they didn't replace the wax ring or damaged it and liquids from inside the bowl are leaking under the toilet.

o
RE: Toilet cleaning smell

If not already done, caulk the bottom of the toilet, pedestal (if any) and baseboards (if any), access panel that runs to the floor(if any), etc. Basically, anywhere the water can run underneath.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here