Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitasei

Is flexible pipe for propane gas dangerous?

kitasei
10 years ago

When I moved into my new (old) house, I had the propane supplier inspect the old tanks. He said the copper piping is no longer up to code and we should have it replaced with flexible pipe which could be threaded through our stone and masonry wall. But the plumber says he is licensed to install black pipe but not flexible and that he believes the flexible piping is not safe. A town in the area has even banned it. What do you all think?

Comments (7)

• klem1
    10 years ago

I am useing the requirments in Texas but should be close or the same since LP fuel is for the most part regulated by the Railroad commision. I am also baseing this on large semi-perminate tanks rather than one which can be relocated by 1 or 2 men.
    The plumber is correct and there is no excuse what-so-ever for the LP supplier to give misleading information because they must know the law very well just to operate. If you own the tanks ( how many do you have? and please describe them ) , you have the choice to buy fuel from anyone you please. Prices are variable from month to month and dealer to dealer so you can buy from a different dealer every month. I would be very suspect of this one. If your tanks are rented,you must buy from the dealer who owns them. Now back to the pipe. Soft refrigeration copper is exelent and used extensivly with LP gas. Black pipe is also used with LP. Although soft refrigeration tube can be bent,its is NEVER referred to as FLEXIABLE pipe. Flexiable pipe is ribbed copper with a plastic like cover inside and usualy outside,with threaded fittings on each end from the factory. Flexiable can be used only between wall or floor and appliance,stove,heater,furnace, never from room to to room,through a wall or outdoors.
    Post back to be certain we are on the same page and if you have other questions.

This post was edited by klem1 on Tue, Dec 10, 13 at 18:15

• kitasei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in NY and talking about a household size tank (just supplying stove, not heat). I'm talking about the conduit that connects the tank outside to the stove inside. It has to pass through a stone wall, through a crawl space and up to the stove.

• klem1
    10 years ago

Ok,portable tanks have regulations of thier own so 90% of what I said before is not relivant but still something to consider. Personaly,I would want flex from stove to black pipe at floor/wall. Black through crawl and wall,with an elbow and short run strapped to exterior wall. UV resistant rubber hose from ext wall to tank/regulator. I set the tank on a concrete path stone and strap tank to something stable to prevent it being accidentialy moved which could rupture line.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

There's nothing wrong with either black iron or corrugated stainless if they are done correctly. If the comfort level of your installer isn't with the corrugated stainless, and he prefers black iron, then use black iron. Or get a different installer who's preferred material is corrugated stainless. What you don't want is to make someone use something outside their comfort zone. (They should be pushing to educate themselves out of their comfort zone already, but you don't want to tell them that. Or be their first experiment.)

• jackfre
    10 years ago

The key point with CSST tubing is that it must be "bonded" properly so a lightning strike doesn't blow it up.

• kitasei
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All of these responses sent me to do some more research about the kinds of tubing you have each mentioned. Since 2009 new federal guidelines require that CSST tubing apparently have a precise bonding and grounding system that should be installed by an electrician. The propane company is coming next week to switch the stove from the old propane tank that it shared with a cottage to new ones that power our generator. I'll find out then exactly how each system is set up and how safe they are. Thanks for preparing me with questions I never would have known to ask.

• Northwester
    9 years ago

drymahattan ........

I'm wondering what you decided to use for your gas piping? I am about to install a 250 gallon LPG tank (at the correct location - I'm a retired Fire Marshal and am/was certified in the Uniform Fire Code). My tank will replace the 20 gallon tank I've been using for years but is now out of test. It is a DOT tank, not an ASME certified tank like the replacement.

Since both black iron pipe and CSST are legal according to the codes, it comes down to personal preference. I'm leaning towards using black iron for my installation as it is considerably cheaper and, in my case just as easy to install. Most of my piping will be in a (almost) standing room crawl space. Installation will be all DIY - I worked for five years as a pipefitter at Todd's shipyards and have no problem trusting my own skills in that regard - perhaps even more so than a minimum wage plumber's helper.

So, how'd you decide?

Rich