Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to find fittings for sprinkler and faucet

Posted by EricEngelmann (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 26, 12 at 17:15

Was digging rocks out of my vegetable garden and punctured a PVC pipe from our sprinkler system, which was set 8" below grade (probably to avoid dealing with the rocks). So, I'm thinking, make lemonade and add a spigot inside my garden fence while doing the repair and moving the pipe 10" deeper.

Can anyone suggest parts for this project? Am I doing anything stupid, or sub-optimal? I've wanted to try my hand at a bit of plumbing, but the wife has had (perfectly reasonable) visions of the house flooding. This seems like my perfect do-it-yourself chance.

I'm especially puzzled trying to identify the right T fitting.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to find fittings for sprinkler and faucet

Install a PVC tee.

Let's suppose you have 3/4" PVC and you have 3/4" galvanized iron pipe.

On the 'run' of the tee (that connects to the metal pipe (galvanized iron pipe) you need an adapter 3/4" FPT (FPT = female iron pipe) to 3/4" PVC. You cut a short length of PVC (say 6") and glue it into the Tee and glue the FPT adapter to the other end.

Wrap the galvanized pipe threads with teflon tape, and use a little pipe dope.

o

Thanks! I'll measure the PVC and get a piece of galvanized steel pipe of the same diameter. I assume diameters in plumbing are inside diameters, right?

o

With copper tubing it's ID (inside diameter). However PVC and iron pipe - it's best to go to the hardware store with a sample of the PVC you want to connect to. A short run of iron pipe (for a garden hose) could be 1/2" iron pipe. Take a look at the fittings and the size of the pipe.

Be sure to get galvanized pipe and fittings (like the elbow).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here