Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gas water heater won't fire up

Posted by steveninmaine (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 16:54

I have a ten year old gas water heater, a State Select 40 gallon PR640NOVT. I use it to heat my workshop. So it was turned off for the summer. When I turned it on and lit the pilot a few weeks ago it ran fine at first but the next day when I was in the shop I noticed it was trying to fire up but couldn't. The power vent would come on for a couple of seconds but the burner didn't light and it shut down. Then it would try to fire up again... Repeat.
So I turned it off but a week later turned it on and it fired right up. Later I noticed it wasn't firing up again. I guess it is some kind of safety switch malfunctioning, what do you think?

This post was edited by steveninmaine on Sun, Dec 16, 12 at 17:22

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gas water heater won't fire up

Sounds like it might be the thermo coupling. The tube that senses the pilot and shuts off gas supply, when pilot goes out. If yours is replaceable, it's Usually a $10 or so part. Unfortunately, some are not replaceable...

o

No, it isn't the thermocouple. The pilot light stays lit. It is still doing the same thing. If I turn it on it fires right up and works normally until it reaches temp but the next time it tries to fire up it hangs up. The power vent starts to go but instead of the burner lighting up it shuts down then tries again. Over and over. I disconnected the plastic tube that runs into the power vent and cleaned it out with a pipe cleaner. No change.

o

I had this problem with a furnace, try running the pipe cleaner in the orifice that the plastic tube goes on. I could hear the crud breaking up.

o

I had my power vent line plugged with spiderwebs, wouldn't let the system run. A few years later the control valve failed after 11 years, that was $400.00 cdn, ouch. The system would run for a few minutes and shut itself down.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here