Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
18tons

need a longer snake for hydrostar

18tons
9 years ago

I have had enough sewer line clogs recently that I got a hydrostar electric snake from harbor freight. I suspect that the line may be ok, just that maybe someone is putting something down that shouldn't go down the drain. I don't think it's roots or grease. When I had it snaked the first time by a pro, we did a video on the line all the way to the city and it looked great. So I think this lower powered tool may be ok for me. He ran his snake without a tip. Time will tell. That said, it's 3/8"x 50' snake and that's not long enough. I need 75' to 100'.

I would appreciate any insight into how to go about this. I have a couple of ideas for a longer snake:
1. try and just swap out the complete snake with a longer one (maybe smaller diameter), 75 or 100'
2. add a length of 25'; can I just find a snake with slotted ends and screw it together?
I don't want to overstress the machine, so I was thinking of maybe 3/8" or 1/4" diameter. (the clogs have been very easy, so I think small is ok)

Should I choosing a snake with or without a core? Why would you choose one or the other?

Lastly, I see snakes for sale without ends. how do you attach ends to those?

thx for any suggestions!

Comments (4)