Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
biruchi2

No hot water = instant hot water dispenser?

Biruchi2
9 years ago

I have a fairly old house (100 years this year) and there's no hot water in the upstairs bathroom sink. It comes out at a very light trickle. I'm pretty sure the rusty clog is just inside the wall or under the floor.

My question is, can I just cap off the hot water line and install an instant hot water dispenser? I figure if the cold water flow is sufficient it couldn't hurt to split it in half and use it as a hot water source.

I don't want to replace the pipes because, to me, it's easier to run an electrical line then to crack open a plaster wall.

Notes:
The cold water line is fine. Plenty of pressure/flow.

I know its in the wall and not on the sink side. I cleaned the faucet and replaced the supply line and shutoff valve. The old ones were clogged with rust.

The shower in the bathroom is OK. OK enough to have a fairly hot shower in the winter.

Comment (1)

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

"can I just cap off the hot water line and install an instant hot water dispenser"

Probably not ... if the pipes are that bad, they would probably crumble as you try to put a cap on them, and are ready to rupture in the wall anyway.

"I don't want to replace the pipes because, to me, it's easier to run an electrical line then to crack open a plaster wall. "

Ask a plumber ... they can usually repipe without having to make huge holes.