Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ipenovice

1/4 turn compression shut-off valve. Is there a good one?

ipenovice
14 years ago

I am in the process of remodeling my bathroom and would like to know if there is a "Top Brand" of 1/4 turn compression shut-off valve that is recommended by plumbing professionals. I have replaced the one in that bath twice in the past 15 years and I would like to be able to put one in that is going to last as long as possible. Please recommend a brand if you can. Thanks, Steve

Comments (18)

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

Is the valve seal failing from a mechanical integrity standpoint, or are you possibly having mineral buildup problems with your water?

• ipenovice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Seems like the plastic washer around the valve stem are going bad. I also have well water, so there could be a mineral problem.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

So, when the valves go bad, do they start leaking even if you are not turning them, or is there a problem when they are turned off and on?

• weed_cutter
    14 years ago

Are you asking about a 1/4 turn ball valve or a compression stop valve?

• ipenovice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kudzu9 - They just start leaking. They are about 15 years old. I don't know if they get bumped or what, but I would like a heavy duty one that I don't have to worry about ever changing again.

Wee cutter - These are the sink and toilet shut-off valves. They are compression mounted to the 1/2" pipe and shut off with only a 1/4 turn.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

There are 1/4 turn stop valves with a very slow threads.
    They are not the same as ball valves, but are similar to a globe valve in operation.

Fixture stop vales become hard to turn, and may even fail if since they are rarely used.

Regular opening and closing is actually one way to extend there life.

• steph1
    14 years ago

All mine never work. But they are rarely operated. Kind of wonder what their purpose is if they always fail. I always need to go to the main water line and turn that off. They just seem so cheap.

• kudzu9
    14 years ago

One more question...Is the leaking coming from the valve stem nut or from the compression fitting connection?

• ipenovice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Leaking from around the valve stem. Like Steph1 said, they all seem so cheap. I would like to find heavy duty ones. I don't care if I have to pay more for them as long as they keep working for the next 30 years or so without any issues.

• weed_cutter
    14 years ago

I have felt your pain for years. Either the stem is frozen, the valve dribbles or my personal favorite of everything appearing OK until the valve is opened and a leak starts around the stem. I replaced all my compression valves with the ball type and so far so good. I like the fact that the stem rotates without sliding in and out of the packing (or "O" ring) and the seals around the ball are plastic instead of rubber.

• ipenovice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Weed Cutter, Brickeyee mentioned above that the 1/4 turn valves are not the same as ball valves. Where do I get the ball valves? The 1/4 turn valves come from the big box stores, but I thought they were basically ball valves. They have a ball with a hole in it. You turn them 1/4 turn and the hole is either open or closed. Are these not ball valves? Please let me know. thanks for the responses.

• weed_cutter
    14 years ago

All ball valves that I have ever seen are 90 degrees between off and on. Just like you descride above, a ball with a hole in it. I'm not familiar with what Brickeye is describing but it sounds like a regular compression stop but maybe limited to a quarter turn?

I am still a little confused about your origional post. Did you mean a "ball valve that attaches to the pipe stub with a compression ferule and nut"?

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"I'm not familiar with what Brickeye is describing but it sounds like a regular compression stop but maybe limited to a quarter turn?"

There are a number of manufacturers that are making the quarter turn stops that are NOT ball valves but plain old compression type valves.

by using a very slow thread they can get away with a quarter turn to open and close.
    The penalty is the greater force required to operate the valve.

• weed_cutter
    14 years ago

Brickeye - Is there any advantage to a slow thread compression stop? Honestly the 1st thing that popped into my mind was the manufacturer's charging a premium for a fake ball valve. Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"Is there any advantage to a slow thread compression stop? Honestly the 1st thing that popped into my mind was the manufacturer's charging a premium for a fake ball valve. Maybe I got up on the wrong side of the bed today."

Less clearance around the valve for turning.

You can tuck them into a smaller spot, and eliminate the 3-5 turns needed for a conventional stop valve.

• ipenovice
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone for responding to my post. I guess the conclusion I have come to is that I will use 1/4 turn ball type shut off valves and that no one knows of one brand that it better than another. Off to HD I go. Thanks again.

• chillilover
    14 years ago

Dahl is good but I see I'm too late.

• brickeyee
    14 years ago

"I guess the conclusion I have come to is that I will use 1/4 turn ball type shut off valves and that no one knows of one brand that it better than another."

If you solder in a ball valve make sure it is wide open when heated.

The Teflon balls are a little tougher than some of the plastic ones.