Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frozen Pipes Solution

Posted by jtabler (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 21, 10 at 14:57

About four years ago my primary home received a bathroom remodel over a concrete slab.

The workers did not insulate the pipes and laid the flexible PVC down into a groove they jack-hammered into the slab. This was the first time I had ever used a contractor, so don't laugh. This 6x6 bathroom had insulation, subfloor, and ceramic tile laid down over-top of this groove. I.e. I can't access it.

For four years, the pipes have frozen. I let the faucets drip to prevent them from freezing. It is a secondary bathroom.

Is there something I can install DIY for under a couple hundred bucks that will exchange water both cold and hot to prevent the pipes from freezing? I've tried heat tape all the way up to the slab, but it is freezing the 5 foot section between the crawlspace and exit to the sink. Since it's a crawlspace, I don't want to install a heater or anything else other than heat tape to heat the water.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frozen Pipes Solution

A recirculating pump installed under the sink will solve the frozen pipe problem with both hot and cold supply lines.

This type of system circulates the hot water back through the cold line.

This will also provide fast hot water at all the other fixtures between the heater and the point of installation. The intructions say to install it at the furthest point away from the heater, but you need to install it under the sink with the frozen pipe problem to make it part of the circulation loop.

An electrical receptacle is required for the pump.

Here is a link that might be useful: watts recirculating pump

o

Agree with the above post and here's an option for a more compact all-in-one retrofit recirc pump. I've had one for a long time... reliable and works great.

http://lainginc.itt.com/pages/autocirc.htm

o

Thanks so much for confirming the recirculating hopes! This is really awesome. Merry Christmas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here