Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southland76

Dishwasher Drain Extension Question

southland76
10 years ago

I've searched the forum for similar inquiries and appreciate the information provided. However, I wanted to explain my specific issue and get your feedback. We are just about wrapped up on a full remodel of our kitchen; we changed the layout so also moved the dishwasher which I didn't anticipate would create a draining issue, but here I am. I installed a new Samsung dishwasher, with a larger corner cabinet between it and the sink. The hose length req'd to make the run is approximately 12'.

My question is if I come up high with the drain tube as soon as it enters the corner cabinet, and secure it to the countertop, do you think the pump would be able to work effectively?
It would run take about 4 ft. to make the uphill run and once secured to counter underside it would have about a 5-6 ft. run. Then I would drop down thru the sink cabinet for another 2-3 feet before connecting to disposal.

Your help is greatly appreciated on this matter! counters will be installed on Saturday and I want to be able to get right on this afterwards.

Comments (11)

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

The path of least resistance would be to enter the corner cabinet at the lower corner, rise to the top opposite corner where it transitions to the sink cabinet.

Yes the pump will handle the sharp rise, however, why not prolong its efficiency as long as possible.

• klem1
    10 years ago

I believe your plan is a good one. We know the washer is quite capiable of pushing the water to counter height and from there to disposal is effectivly a syphon. I expect you have thought of it but I will just mention that if the hose requires splicing,use a hose with i.d. same as the washer hose o.d. as a coupler rather than a double barb fitting which would act as an unwanted restrictor. It would also work well if extension is simply large enough to slip over and clamp to washer hose. Most drain boots have several size options.

• southland76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You state that the hose barb will act as a restrictor, glad you mentioned this. Intention was to connect the 6' corrugated hose that came with unit to a 5/8" ID rubber 6' hose extension via a watts brass double barb. The corrugated hose does have a boot attached to it, so I could come in with a smaller rubber hose and clamp the connection disregarding the barb?

• klem1
    10 years ago

"so I could come in with a smaller rubber hose and clamp the connection disregarding the barb?"

Only if it will not reduce the i.d. The objective is doing little things that add up in assisting free flow.
    I realize this challenges Samsung's engineers but you may research for yourself. To optimize flow,I suggest you not use the corrugated hose but instaed opt for a hose with smooth inner wall. If replacing the origional hose,you may as well use a single hose from washer to disposal. I am unsure wherther gradual ascent from washer to counter height creates less head than a steep ascent but bends should be long as pratical. I believe gradual desent from counter height to disposal inlet might help slightly.

• southland76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your reply. I suppose I could buy a long piece of washing machine hose or radiator and cut to length. The corrugated hose has a elbow connection to the dishwasher, Any thoughts on how to connect rubber hose? I haven't removed original yet to look at the outlet.
    I think I may try to stay as gradual as possible with the ascend/descend routing

• klem1
    10 years ago

Home Depot and Lowes as well as others sell hose by the foot. Most hose is slip fit and clamped.

• southland76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

great, i'll see what size I will need once I take a long at the outlet of dishwasher and head that way.

• southland76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found a 12' corrogated hose online and installed it today.
    Now I have another concern: the hose doesn't have a 90 degree elbow, therefore making a sharp bend in the hose when connecting to the machine exposing the seams of the corrogations. Do you think that this will create problems (breaking)?

• southland76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I don't think that corrogations is an actual word lol... I'm referring to the spaces between the ridges in the hose.

• klem1
    10 years ago

The corragations are only in the hose to alow it to bend without kinking. No worries about breaking as long as you don't force it.

• southland76
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info, so even if the white in the seams appears overly exposed due to the bend? I just didn't know if this was a sign of degradation or not that could lead to failure from the hot water by chance...