Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Replace Badger 1/2 hp disposal?

Posted by southland76 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 14:22

Good afternoon, I posted this message on the kitchen forums as well to see what sort of experiences others have had with this unit. I'm currently remodeling our kitchen and wanted to get opinions on whether I should replace a badger 5 1/2 hp disposal? This unit is approximately 2 years old and is working fine, however I've read that they can be problematic in the long haul for some.
Do you think that I should replace a unit that is working perfectly fine presently with a better model (was thinking of the evolution 3/4 hp) to avoid any possible issues? Keep in mind that this unit does not get heavy usage.

Thanks for your input

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Replace Badger 1/2 hp disposal?

If it aint broke, don't fix it.

Both are ISE models so the sink flanges are inter-changable.

o

Keep it. Easy enough to change when it eventually fails.

o

Thanks for helping to make this decision much easier, one less detail to worry about!

o

Being it’s only 2 years old I wouldn’t be concerned about using it. You should get may more years out of it and as homebound mentioned, if it ever fails it’s not difficult to replace.

Off topic and a bit of Levity.... When I read the subject line “Replace Badger disposal” I had to chuckle as it reminded me of an old Mr. Obvious skit. Hope this puts a smile on your face. Click the link below

Here is a link that might be useful: The Critter

o

The Evolution disposers are much quieter, if that matters to you. Also more powerful, although I've found the low-end Badger generally works fine.

o

Thanks, for the little bit of use it will get i will keep the badger.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here