Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrtle_59

Snowbird prep, hot water tank question

myrtle_59
10 years ago

We are leaving our Pennsylvania home for a couple months in jan and feb. We planned to turn off the water at the main turnoff (not the street) and leave the gas hot water tank on a low setting. Is this safe for two months? We planned to turn off the ice maker in the fridge and drain the pipes, then reclose the spigots. We will turn off water to the washing machine. Also put some windshield washer fluid in toilets.

Is this the right way to close the house?

Comments (15)

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

I generally don't turn the heat all the way off, just down low. Say 55f. That way there is no issue with toilets freezing. I also open cabinet doors under sinks.

BTW: there will still be water in the bottom of the clothes and dish washer. If these freeze, they will crack. Same for the toilet tanks

• AliceHasLeftTheBuilding
    10 years ago

When leaving for extended periods, it is also a good idea to pour a tiny amount of oil (just enough to skim the water surface) down drains and into the toilet so the water does not evaporate enough to allow sewer gases into your home.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Turn off the gas and drain the tank if you're going to turn off the water main.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Would it be sufficient to turn the water heater to pilot?

• klem1
    10 years ago

Set to pilot,it would take months for a noticable drop in water level in tank. You will need to flush the tank before useing it after return,so why do you want water in the heater while you are away?

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Why would i need to flush it when i come back? What does that mean exactly?

The reason i dont want to drain it is i am an old lady and dont know how to drain it. If i have someone come in and do that, i will not have hot water from the time they do til i leave. I have not had the experience that plumbers come the exact time i want them to. No, i do not have a family member who is able and available to do this. If i knew how to do this i would not be here asking these questions ;-)

• Beeone
    10 years ago

I see two practices when you are going to be gone for a few months. Do a complete house shutdown, which means turn off the water at a point that won't freeze, drain and blow out all the water lines (houses rarely seem to be built to do this efficiently), drain the water heater, put antifreeze in the sink traps and toilets and anything else that will retain water, then turn off the furnace.

Alternatively, do it the easy way and turn the furnace down as low as it will go (usually between 45 and 55 degrees), turn off the water heater or set it to pilot only, and find a trusted neighbor or friend who can stop by weekly long enough just to check in and make sure there are no problems.

• klem1
    10 years ago

"Why would i need to flush it when i come back? What does that mean exactly?"

Sitting in the unheated tank ,the water will take on a bad odor,usualy like rotten eggs. Flushing simply means turning one or more hot facuets on until water has changed out in tank,turning heat to 240* and allowing tank to heat then once again turn hot facuet on long enough to change water. Quite simple unless you are on a private septic tank that might be temporarly overloaded by all the water.
    I am stepping away from your question for a minute to meddle. Do'es your area have a senior assistance program? If not,it;s time they get one. There must be people at your church willing to help,but you must ask because that's the only way they know of your need. As the last resort indicate within a few miles where you are located without giving your address and hopfully somone here will email you through GW offering to make a call or two on your behalf.
    Ok,got my home repair hat on again. As much as I would like to help,it is difficult because one must understand basic plumbing and able to use a few tools. Think of it as me asking for instructions on giving myself a haircut when I don't have a mirror,clippers nor scissors.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

Draining the tank is not difficult, and you don't need a plumber, just a handy man. Hot water heaters usually have a drain valve at the bottom that handles a garden hose. Turn off the water main valve. Turn off the hot water heater (gas set to pilot). Open a hot water faucet. Attach a garden hose to the main valve and route it to an appropriate drain (sump pit or whatever). Open the hot water heater drain valve and let all the water out. Close the drain valve.

When you come back, turn on the main and let the tank refill. Close the hot water faucet you left open when you left. Turn on the heater.

• pima74
    10 years ago

The main problem with draining the water heater is that there is a high probability that the drain will leak once you return water to the tank. Most tanks have a very cheap plastic drain that if not operated frequently will leak after they are opened the first time. Actually if you have somewhat hard water you may not even be able to open the valve.

My heater has a brass drain value that was installed as part of the hot water recirculating system. I turn off the gas totally when we leave for even a week or two. But it has an igniter similar to the one on a gas grill so relighting the pilot is easy. Before relighting I open the drain valve to flush out accumulated sediment.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the information, everyone.

To get back to my original question, we plan to take this route:

"Alternatively, do it the easy way and turn the furnace down as low as it will go (usually between 45 and 55 degrees), turn off the water heater or set it to pilot only, and find a trusted neighbor or friend who can stop by weekly long enough just to check in and make sure there are no problems."

Am i correct that setting the water heater to pilot means that no heat is put to the water and therefore the water heater cannot get too hot or evaporate in a 60 day period?

• klem1
    10 years ago

"Am i correct that setting the water heater to pilot means that no heat is put to the water and therefore the water heater cannot get too hot or evaporate in a 60 day period? "

You are Correct.
    Despite the need to repalce a facuet washer or two when you return,I reccomend turning water off as you first preposed. Only washers that are old and would fail in a year or two anyhow will loose seal.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks.

• myrtle_59
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone!

• rpotter12
    5 months ago

I turn the water off but don’t drain the lines. We go away for 6 months in the winter and found draining the lines caused the faucet seals to dry out and make too stiff. We figured that even if a leak developed the most water leaked would only be the amount in the line. Leave the smart thermostat at 55 set to warn if it drops below 45. Never had a problem with this method in 7 years of travel. 🤞👍