Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lavatory cleanout

Posted by waltsyd (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 21, 12 at 13:20

I've never seen a cleanout under a lavatory sink but now I might have to put one in on a bathroom addition. It's a 2" waste and vent (needed to boost total area of VTR) that has a big change of direction before tying into the main drain.

So I gather the cleanout t sits just above the trap san t. It seems like it's gonna be pretty cramped in there if anyone ever needs to use that cleanout. I'm not even sure it will have the requisite 12" clearance. Do I aim it a bit to the side? Should the waste san t be set lower down? Maybe I could just use the p-trap sani-tee as a cleanout, if the UPS allows it? Any other tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lavatory cleanout

First off, why do you need to boost the cross sectional area of the VTR?

Are there any other fixtures besides the lavatory on this line?

Please explain the big change in direction more thoroughly.

o
RE: lavatory cleanout

I'm adding a bathroom to an old home. The existing vent area is less than the 4" drain. Hence I wish to use 2" vents for the new lavatory and new shower/tub. They will increase the total vtr area to slightly surpass the 4" drain area.

The lav drain has to drop through 2 45s to get around a beam, then a 90 to go horizontal, then into a 45, then a 2" wye to a 3" wye, then the 3" to 4" wye. That's a total of 225 degrees of bend before it reaches another drain line that has a cleanout.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here