Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Help - need soution - w/d stack removal from tight fit alcove

elphaba_gw
11 years ago

I'm cross-posting info below from the laundry forum. I thought maybe the plumbers would be more familiar about optimum way to set up a washer/dryer stack in a tight space so that future removal could be optimized (as best as possible other than having a larger space).

From the laundry forum:

We're in the middle of major remodel of a hall bath. An alcove (i.e. closet without a door) for a washer/dryer stack is part of the requirements. In the middle of that now when I realize because it is a tight fit, it is going to be a HUGE DEAL if and when we decide to replace machines or if they need maintenance to the extent they need to be pulled out of alcove. Doesn't help that these machines are fairly large Samsung, not compact.

Opinions?

I think I've got SOME help with this problem because I am requiring access panels in back (on wall in a spare room).

BUT the REAL problem is if these machines need to be removed. I could give space dimensions but I will not unless someone feels they need it. What I'm thinking is that casters might be the solution. Stack could be rolled out and then moved sideways down a 36 inch aisle out the door which is also 36 inches. (room to unstack before rolling sideways, I think with 36 inch aisle.)

Problem is I can't find anywhere on the web where this has been done before. I'm particularly worried about vibration with the casters. Think I need REALLY heavy duty casters attached to some kind of platform? Do I need to worry about ventilation (on the sides as well as from below?)?

Also, some issues with stability if both are rolled out together? Anyone with experience on this? Maybe wall on the side of alcove which borders a hallway could be made to be easily "destroyed"? (Hopefully this last option isn't only one because that "ship may have already sailed".)

Washer is Samsung WF219ANW and
dryer stacked above washer is: Samsung DV2194GW

Comments (6)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I've been looking at this exact same problem as I want to add a washer dryer in a bath in the space where a fiberglass shower now stands. I found this thread on GW which gave me some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stackable w/d tight space

• Olychick
    11 years ago

What kind of access are you creating in the adjacent room? I could do the same thing, but it's a guest room/office and any panel would be smack dab in the middle of a wall. I don't think I want to look at a "door" and it's not the right placement to hide with a bookcase or anything. I'm interested in how you will finish yours.

• elphaba_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We haven't got to the stage of actually deciding how the "access panel" will look. Luckily, ours will be hidden by the door to the room when it is open. When door to room is closed, panel will be near the edge of the room, kind of like in a corner.

But in discussing it a bit this morning, I did hear that because there are so many different "spots" needing access, perhaps a door with a piano hinge? Since the access will only be needed at most, once in six months for the gas dryer vent and the others, hardly ever at all unless special circumstances, I think I would prefer a large neat thin panel screwed to the wall, maybe 60 inches vertically by 32 inches wide. Screws being the type that can easily be removed and won't strip easily.

Then I might cover the thin panel with a mirror. We have a much smaller thin 'access panel' we got from Home Depot for the plumbing in the master bath that is accessible when bedroom door is closed. I have a bar with hooks that I use for hanging things temporarily (not the neatest look but is good place for "gently worn" clothing) that covers the panel nicely. Depends on what you prefer seeing, a rack of clothes hung or an access panel.

Would like to hear what you are thinking about. I did a google search of "access panel" in google images. Lots to look at, may take me a while.

So still thinking - contractor is working on other parts of room now. We may have a couple of weeks to figure the access panel out.

• elphaba_gw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just had another thought. This might be a good time to decorate the wall with wallpaper, the kind that is rather exotic with large motifs? allowing the panel to disappear somewhat. Like I said, I'm still thinking.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I got to use an "air dolly" one time to move appliances. I had no idea they existed, but they were WAY easier than the usual hand-truck variety of dolly.

Rather than casters, which I think will be problematic from the standpoint of needing a stable base for your stacked unit; I'd plan to rent an air dolly capable of lifting your stacked set (or at least the washer once the reasonably light drier is removed from it).

I've attached a youtube of one air dolly moment... (also known as an air sled. I found one on Amazon that says it has an 800 lb capacity).

Here is a link that might be useful: air dolly on you tube (one of many clips)