Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinak55

toilet replace or new wax ring

christinak55
10 years ago

We put a new toilet(from Lowes) in upstairs about 3 years ago. I have already had plumbers replace wax rings twice - this seems too frequent. Do I need to get a plumber to replace the wax ring again or should I get a new toilet and start over.

Comments (14)

• klem1
    10 years ago

"Do I need to get a plumber to replace the wax ring again or should I get a new toilet and start over."

I reccomend get a NEW PLUMBER and start over. As long as you are using the present one,you will always have problems. This is not difficult and a plumber that takes your money for a new toilet that leaks within 3 years or replaces a wax ring that continues leaking is a parisite.

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

How do you know it's the wax ring that is leaking?

• christinak55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I just assumed that is what it would be from my visit to "google" land. What else could it be?

• aidan_m
    10 years ago

In my experience, a failed wax ring is usually not the reason for water accumulating around the base of a floor mounted toilet. It is only sometimes the probem.

More commonly, the tank gasket leaks. Or the supply shutoff valve. Or maybe the tank bolts or the fill valve were tightened too much and caused a slight crack in the tank. These leaks are slow and hard to trace. I check all these places first. Only when I'm sure that none of these are leaking, do I change the wax ring.

And every time I work on a toilet, I swear it's gonna be the last time I don't insist on changing the supply valve to a quarter turn ball valve. Every single multi-turn valve leaks at the packings once it is turned off and back on again. And they're so flimsy it's nearly impossible to remove the handle to tighten the packings.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

What is 'it' exactly? IE, what are the symptoms?

• christinak55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sewer gas is leaking into the room and has been getting stonger. Earlier I looked closely and the back left side of the toilet is not touching the floor but the right side is.

• weedmeister
    10 years ago

Has this bathroom been remodeled and was a tile floor added? If so, the flange may not be quite high enough. From walking through Lowes/HD, there are thicker/thinner wax rings available.

• homebound
    10 years ago

Is it rocking at all? (Hopefully not.) If so, it needs to get reinstalled with a new ring (appropriate thickness) and shimmed & caulked properly. Needs to be solid. No rocking.

• christinak55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No not rocking at all.

• christinak55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No not rocking at all. No remodel, original floor- the house was built 18 years ago.

• woodbutcher_ca
    10 years ago

Hi, Are you sure the sewer gas is from the toilet? You may want to check the sink and shower/tub same gas there. Check also the overflows in the sink and tub,they sometime give off a bad odor.
    Woodbutcher

• homebound
    10 years ago

Good point. Sometimes the sink overflow produces gas when the sink water is running and draining. When that happens, I pour a splash of bleach down the drain and let it sit. That "wets" the bottom of the overflow with bleach just below the drain flange, which is enough to take care of the smell). Same principle for the tub overflow, but more rare.

• christinak55
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will check on the overflow - but I do not see an overflow in my Kohler tub, Where would it be.

The toilet is does not have caulk around it.

• dave_mn
    10 years ago

We had a leaker too. On a closer inspection we found the trap was actually cracked. We had to turn the toilet upside and we could see it with a good light.