Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help....Faucet winterization

Posted by MikeB1234 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 12 at 12:40

I have frost proof faucets along the outside of my house. The inside valve to one of the faucets was not shut off prior to the temperature dropping below freezing. I just turned it off then opened the outside faucet. No water flowed. Should I be worried? Should I reopen the inside valve? It is right next to the faucet. The pipe is behind drywall. It has not cracked. It is a model 17 woodford. It is not supposed to have any issues if I disconnect the hose. I'm concerned because water didn't flow when opening the faucet. However, I've never tried using an outside spigot in the winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help....Faucet winterization

If you turned the inside shutoff valve off, there won't be any water flow, right?

o

There should still be water that was trapped between interior valve and spigot.

o

If you're talking about the valve I think you're tallking about, the actual 'seat' is inside the house and stays warm. There is an air admittance valve outside the house (the black or silver thing above where you attach the hose) that allows water to drain out.

This one happens to be brass.

Here is a link that might be useful: frost-proof silcock

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here