Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Costco toilet paper

Posted by twotogo (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 17, 07 at 12:18

Just curious if anyone has heard of problems due to Costco toilet paper in their septic tank? My son was having problems with his indoor plumbing yesterday and after removing the lid to the septic tank he noticed alot of toilet paper clogging up the pipe going into the tank. He was able to "free it up" and now has no problems. He said someone told him Costco toilet paper(Kirkland brand) does not "break down" very good and to use another brand of TP!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Costco toilet paper

ALL TP breaksdown in water. the softer the TP, the quicker it breaks down though. if the clog was at the inlet to the tank, it sounds like someone just used too much. if it was clogging the outlet, he should have installed a baffle to prevent it.

o

Had the same problem with Charmin. Then was telling a friend and he said they had the same trouble with Charmin. Also talked to a septic guy and he said that he had pumped them out for people that said they used Charmin and he said it still had a lot of paper that had never dissolved/

Best I have found is Angel Soft or Scott for falling apart quickly when flushing. Just stay away from Charmin(and Costco)?.

o

I too believe that the problem is the habits of the users of the system rather than the toilet tissue. If this was a real problem, discussion would be more widespread and frequent.

o

I had an issue on my boat with costco tp.... plugged up my vacuflush several times. I did a "scientific" test using bowls of water and a single square swirled with my finger in each bowl. The costco and the more expensive charmin stayed together like glue. The best was cheap single ply Ralphs house brand. Pretty much exploded into tiny pieces when swirled in water.

o

The Costco Kirkland brand does not break down as quickly, thats a certainty as many have commented, with accurate perception. Its called temporary wet strength. It suppose to be an advantage of a premium tissue brand. It also suppose to break down shortly after using it.
Angelsoft is a good alternative, there is no wet strength component in it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here