Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure Regulating Valve

Posted by rusty_2010_gardener (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 10:29

I have to replace an existing Pressure Regulating Valve, a Honeywell Braukmann old D06 1". This valve new part number is DS05. Please explain the following plumbing terms:

single union fitting sweat
single union fitting threaded NPT
double union fitting sweat
double union fitting threaded NPT

Thank you for any assistance provided.

Mario Fernandez

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure Regulating Valve

You can have a union connection on one side or both of the pressure reducer. If only on one side, the other would be directly threaded or soldered (sweated) to the connectiong pipe or fitting.
The below picture shows an example of a union.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumbing Fittings

o

Randy427

Thank you for your help. So a single union fitting would be a valve that has what you show on this picture on one side (INLET) which could be threaded or sweated and no union on the other side(OUTLET) just the valve threads. I hope I am right.

Thanks

Mario

o

My first question would be why are you changing the valve?

o
RE: Pressure Regulating Valve .

The reason that I asked the previous question is that far too often homeowners change out the entire valve when all they really needed to do is clean the internal sediment screens.

Now I am sure that many will say they don't have screens but that is not true,,,,Code requires a sediment screen on the input side of a PRV.

o

On mine, the union fitting is on the OUTLET side. I don't know if they come the other way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here