Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home Depot vs Sears Installers for hot water heater

Posted by peggydobbs (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 13, 06 at 9:58

I am trying to decide whether to buy a Kenmore Power Miser 12 gas hot water heater (installed by Sears) or a GE Smartwater 12 (installed by Home Depot).

Does anyone have any experience with either? I asking both about the tanks and about the installers.

I live in the NYC area.

Thanks, Peggy M

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home Depot vs Sears Installers for hot water heater

As far as the installation goes, as a rule neither of those organizations have installers on their payroll. Generally they offer installation as an additional service which they will include in the selling price and perhaps finance for you, but the actual installation is done by independant contractors who are subcontracting to the store.

In addition, every aspect of a water heater installation is very carefully regulated by code so in the end there can be very little difference in the quality of installation.

o
RE: Home Depot vs Sears Installers for hot water heater

We had Home Depot install the GE Smartwater ( which is the same as Rheem, apparently). The whole process went very smoothly. We called the 800 number in the phone book, and they arranged for a local plumber to pick up the heater and install it the next day. We never had to deal with the not-so-good service at the local Home Depot. The price was competitive (about $650). That included the cost of a building inspection, required by our city in Southern California. As it turns out, the plumber charged for the inspection permit but did not pull the permit until I mentioned it on a follow-up satisfaction survey.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here