Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement ejector and Venting

Posted by lookin4help (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 24, 09 at 8:29

I have a 4 year old home in central Pennsylvania. The basement was built with roughed in plumbing for a bathroom. I have a pit with separate 2" pipes available, one for the vent and another for the ejector connection. I have a 2" pipe coming out of the floor for the sink drain, a hole for the toilet, and a 3" pipe with a reducer to 2" in an opening the concrete floor for the tub/shower.
I know that the toilet will wet vent to the pit.
My questions are with venting the sink and tub. Being that my builder only provided one vent from the basement, I am hoping that the distances from rough in to pit are short enough to allow a wet vent. Otherwise, as I have read, I cannot tie into the pit's vent stack and I am not sure what i'll do.
Sink rough in to pit distance is 8 feet and the sink piping connects to the 'toilet to pit' 4" pipe.

Shower/tub rough in runs 3 feet, and then connects to the 'sink to pit' 4" line about 2 feet from the pit.
Are these distances short enough to allow a wet vent?
Furthermore, if this rough in was inspected and the builder only provided one vent stack (for the pit), can I assume that the wet vent would have been acceptable to that inspector when it was built?

I have a diagram, but not sure i can add it to this posting. If I figure it out, I will add it.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement ejector and Venting

Your home was built under the Pennsylvania Uniform Construction Code and the rough plumbing plans designes approved and inspected under the PA Code enofrced at that time...Likley the plumbing provisions of the 2003 International Residential Code..

This means what you have has been already inspected, approved and allowed based on Code in effect at that time.

Provided that the sewage ejector will not be a "pneumatic" type (which requires it's own independent vent through the roof with no other vents attached), the single 2" vent from the ejector will be adequate to vent the entire bathroom group as designed.

o
RE: Basement ejector and Venting

Thank you for your response. Still not clear on the venting questions, though.

When you say that the 2" can vent the entire bathroom, does that mean that I can wet vent the tub and the sink to the pit and the 2" pit vent will suffice? If not, then I understand from your response that I can run separate vents from the tub and sink and then tie them to the pit vent stack as long at the sewage ejector is not pneumatic.

I guess my questions really come down to these two. Based on the sizing of the existing pipes:

Can I wet vent the tub?
Can I wet vent the sink?

I know this was inspected and approved when built, but I don't understand which design it was approved for. (wet venting, or venting as a 'tie into the pit' vent).

Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here