Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is water draining out of air gap when using dishwasher?

Posted by bookert (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 15, 06 at 8:24

We have installed new hoses and air gap venting (mounted on rt. of sink) and ck'd garbage disposal plug etc.. trying to eliminate water draining from the vent. I have to place a few towels around the vent to soak up the water that drains out during the dishwashing cycle.
Any suggestions?
There is no back-up in the sink and our home is about 4 yrs. old. No smells from the sink, just lots of water coming out the vent!
Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is water draining out of air gap when using dishwasher?

I assume you have checked to see that the air gap is plumbed the right way? It's hard to get it reversed but I've seen it done through creative plumbing.

Try pulling the hose off the disposal and running a drain cycle into a 5 gal bucket. If it still spills out of the air gap, you'll have to try a different brand of air gap. If it doesn't, the disposal is draining slow. My first move though, would be to be to shine a light in the disposal port to verify the knockout was completely removed.

o
air gap......

We didn't have this problem when the house was new, so we assume the gap is plumbed correctly.

Will try running a cycle as you suggested, good idea!
We did, however, replace the air gap with an identical one.
Will also triple ck. the port again. We stuck a thick screwdriver thru the hole before.

Any chance it has to do with a faulty disposal? I never put much down it, since a plumber once told me they weren't meant to grind food and they were pretty much useless. Do I agree? Who am I to discredit a plumber?

We have a septic tank 2 yrs. now, any chance it's the culprit? We have no other drain problems btw.

Thanks!

o
RE: Why is water draining out of air gap when using dishwasher?

I've never had to deal with septic so I'm not qualified to comment, other than to say showers, washing machines, and toilets put more flow into a septic system than a dw so I wouldn't suspect it's the culprit.

There's just a couple other things you can try in order to narrow your search. Unscrew the cap from the airgap and put a small glass over it (a champagne flute works well) and run a drain cycle. The water should drain out as fast as it comes in and not build pressure in the glass. The other thing to try is fill the sink and then pull the stopper with the disposal running. The water should drain quickly, five gallons (assuming your sink holds that much) in about 17 seconds would indicate the disposal is draining properly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here