Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
braytonak

Recommend gentle toilet fill valve?

braytonak
16 years ago

My new toilet has a terrible fill valve. It shuts off so suddenly that water hammer can hardly be avoided. I'm going to put a hammer arrester on the line, but on top of that, can anyone suggest a good brand / model fill valve that is known for having a gentle shut-off? The one that came with the toilet may be a Fluidmaster (sp?). I have a replacement in a box called Korky, which is already in one other toilet and isn't very much better.

I miss the old days of toilets that slowly turned off. So do my pipes. I've already tried turning down the in-line shutoff valve.

Comments (10)

• coolvt
    16 years ago

I've used many, many of the Fluidmasters and never seen this problem. I wonder how high your water pressure could be. I've used them with pressure up to 80 lb. and never had that problem. Makes me wonder if there are loose pipes leading to the toilet so that any little sudden change would cause them to knock.
    I'll be curious to see what others have for answers on this.

• braytonak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I've wanted to get a pressure tester for a long time, but the only place I have to connect one is outdoors. The outdoor faucet is already covered in its styrofoam box and I'd rather not disturb it until spring. I think my pressure may be a bit on the high side.

On the topic of pressure reducing valves: Do they have any inherent quirks of their own, or does the pressure just magically become reduced without any noticeable change at the taps?

• coolvt
    16 years ago

If you want to test before spring, you can get an adapter for $2-$3. Unscrew the aerator on your kit. sink and screw on the adapter. The adapter I'm thinking of will allow you to connect a garden hose. Then you have to decide what type of pressure gague you are going to use and how you are going to connect it to the adapter.

• justalurker
    16 years ago

You can get this nifty gauge at Home Depot. Screws on a hose bib and has a tattletale needle to indicate the maximum transient pressure it has seen.

• lazypup
    16 years ago

Lets assume for the moment that they do purchase the pressure gage and find out that they have 80psi static head pressure but only 15psi during the fill cycle. What would be the corrective action? The answer-no corrective action required, that is normal.

On the other hand, if they want to actually correct the problem they could install the code required "water hammer arrester" on the toilet tank supply line.

• justalurker
    16 years ago

lazypup is the plumbing authority. I was addressing the OP's statement "I've wanted to get a pressure tester for a long time".

• braytonak
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't know that hammer arresters were code in some places. So far I have one on each of the lines for my washer. Since writing the original message I have placed one on the dishwasher, which was just as bad or worse. I may stop by the plumbing shop this weekend to get a few more to add to all three toilets.

As for the pressure test, the arresters seem to take care of the bulk of the symptoms once installed. I'll still swap out the valve in the new toilet since I have a spare one. I know I have a slight leak in at least one copper line, which is burried in a wall behind kitchen cabinets. (Drips occasionally show up in crawlspace.)

• lazypup
    16 years ago

Water hammer arresters are required in the near proximity of all "Fast acting valves".
    Examples of fast acting valves are:
    1. All solenoid operated valves found in appliances, I.E. Laundry washing machine, Dishwasher, Ice maker or refrigerator water dispenser.
    2.Makeup water valves for hydronic heating systems or humidfiers.
    3.Water closet fill valves
    4.Lawn irrigation valves.

• jaansu
    16 years ago

I don't know what you call them, but I had no luck avoiding water hammer on my toilets until I installed these fill valves that seem to act via pressure, ie once the tank level is high enough, it must sense the increased water pressure and shut off the valve. They resemble a white hockey puck and have worked magnificently in three houses. They seem to shut off the flow slower for whatever reason.

• Terry Love
    16 years ago

Korky makes a slow closing fill valve for toilets.
    The Korky QuietFill

Most hardware stores should carry them.
    Water pressure should be 80 PSI or less.