Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water Softener Repair

Posted by happs (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 30, 11 at 2:26

I have a 16 year old 32k grain water softening unit with a Fleck 5600 Econominder Valve on it. The basket/screen on the end of the tube in the resin tank cylinder broke sending resin breads throughout the pipes in the house. I had a plumber come out earlier today to unclog the pipes and clear the faucets, toilets, shower heads etc as well as replace the bypass boot on the Fleck 5600 valve because there was water leaking from it when it was in bypass mode. The timer on the Fleck 5600 was replaced recently so I think the whole Fleck unit itself is in good shape now, but the tube and resin in the cylinder tank need repair or replacement. I don't want to spend $1000 on a whole new complete assembly installed through a plumber, especially since I don't know if I am going to stay in the house I am in for a long period of time.

I've called around locally to different water treatment companies and it's about $300 to refill a 9"x48" tank with 1cu ft resin, put in a new distributor tube and new gravel under-bed. Do you all think this is reasonable? Is this something a handyman can do or is it best left to a water treatment professional?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water Softener Repair

You can buy a BRAND NEW 1 cube softener with a Fleck 5600 Econominder metered control valve online for $450 delivered .

If you're sure that a 1 cube softener is correctly sized for your water conditions and usage that's what I'd do.

o

I know, but then I'd have to pay someone $150-$200 to install the new one.

o

I don't understand "replace the bypass boot on the Fleck 5600 valve because there was water leaking". AFAIK there is no bypass BOOT... maybe you're describing it oddly?

Then in another 6 months the brine tank can crack or the brine valve can fail or the piston and seals can leak. You'd rather put another $300 into a 16 year old softener when for another $150 everything is new and has a warranty?

Replacing a 5600 with a 5600 should be a super EZ job.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here