Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happs_gw

Water Softener Repair

happs
12 years ago

I have a 16 year old 32k grain water softening unit with a Fleck 5600 Econominder Valve on it. The basket/screen on the end of the tube in the resin tank cylinder broke sending resin breads throughout the pipes in the house. I had a plumber come out earlier today to unclog the pipes and clear the faucets, toilets, shower heads etc as well as replace the bypass boot on the Fleck 5600 valve because there was water leaking from it when it was in bypass mode. The timer on the Fleck 5600 was replaced recently so I think the whole Fleck unit itself is in good shape now, but the tube and resin in the cylinder tank need repair or replacement. I don't want to spend $1000 on a whole new complete assembly installed through a plumber, especially since I don't know if I am going to stay in the house I am in for a long period of time.

I've called around locally to different water treatment companies and it's about $300 to refill a 9"x48" tank with 1cu ft resin, put in a new distributor tube and new gravel under-bed. Do you all think this is reasonable? Is this something a handyman can do or is it best left to a water treatment professional?

Comments (3)