Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beeonegw

Sulfurous Water Smell

Beeone
10 years ago

We are on well water, which is quite hard but has always worked. Lately, when we get water from a high pitcher faucet in the kitchen, it comes with a very noticeable sulfurous smell. Interestingly, the standard faucet right next to it doesn't have this problem.

To do a little more detail, the water comes into the house to the pump, passes the pressure tank which is about 3 years old, then the line rises towards the ceiling in the basement and splits. The lines run parallel and the one to the regular faucet comes off one line, the one to the pitcher faucet comes off the other line (allows us to shut down water to part of the house if needed without shutting off the whole house). Poly pipe all the way. The pitcher faucet always accumulates some air which spits out when you turn it on and i believe this is due to a leak somewhere in the suction line between the well and the pump. About a year ago, the line to the pitcher faucet sprang a leak (it was copper then) and we replaced it with PVC but used stainless steel flexible hoses for the last connection to the faucet.

The well is over 60 years old and the casing has a lot of rust. I'm wondering if the sulfur is coming from iron bacteria in the well, but why does it only smell at the one faucet? Other faucets in the house off that line do not have this problem--they all have a certain amount of rust, but don't smell. Or do I have an issue with the flexible hoses leading to the pitcher faucet?

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (3)