Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sulfurous Water Smell

Posted by beeone (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 20, 13 at 1:09

We are on well water, which is quite hard but has always worked. Lately, when we get water from a high pitcher faucet in the kitchen, it comes with a very noticeable sulfurous smell. Interestingly, the standard faucet right next to it doesn't have this problem.

To do a little more detail, the water comes into the house to the pump, passes the pressure tank which is about 3 years old, then the line rises towards the ceiling in the basement and splits. The lines run parallel and the one to the regular faucet comes off one line, the one to the pitcher faucet comes off the other line (allows us to shut down water to part of the house if needed without shutting off the whole house). Poly pipe all the way. The pitcher faucet always accumulates some air which spits out when you turn it on and i believe this is due to a leak somewhere in the suction line between the well and the pump. About a year ago, the line to the pitcher faucet sprang a leak (it was copper then) and we replaced it with PVC but used stainless steel flexible hoses for the last connection to the faucet.

The well is over 60 years old and the casing has a lot of rust. I'm wondering if the sulfur is coming from iron bacteria in the well, but why does it only smell at the one faucet? Other faucets in the house off that line do not have this problem--they all have a certain amount of rust, but don't smell. Or do I have an issue with the flexible hoses leading to the pitcher faucet?

Thanks for any ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sulfurous Water Smell

If only the one faucet it spitting air and has an objectionable odor, the problem resides in that faucet and not in the suction line between the well and pump.

The faucet itself has become contaminated.

o

Thanks. I've been going on that idea, but having trouble seeing how since everything is black poly or PVC until we get to the faucet there would be anything for iron bacteria. I guess I was wondering if this particular faucet is lucky enough to collect small amounts of air being sucked into the pump from the well, if that air might contain sufficient sulfur to cause the problem and leave some aftertaste in the water.

I'll probably have to take the faucet connections apart and look for any corrosion/residues.

o

I'd bet the spitting from the faucet is agitating the water and producing the odor. Iron bacteria can produce a sulfur like odor but can also make a muddy odor and an oil like odor.

You may have a high content of sulfur in you water also. When was the most recent water analysis made?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here