Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rust in pipes??

Posted by minniemom (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 1, 06 at 0:06

HI,
We recently had an addition put onto our home with a 2nd floor bathroom directly above the original bathroom that still remains. Yesterday, after the hot water was running a while, I noticed that the water was tinted brown in the shower, then in the sink as well. When I mentioned it to my grandmother (who's house it was originally) - she stated that it has happened before. All of the research I have been doing, tells me it could be old water heater. But ours is brand new. I am thinking that it may be the pipes leading into the house from the ground. Because it happens in both the original bathroom and the new one. When I run the cold water, it dosn't happen as much, mostly the hot. Sound familiar to anyone.
Thanks,
Jennifer

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rust in pipes??

Rust can occur in any iron pipes or vessels in the water supply system. This could be old galvanized iron piping either in the supply line from the municipal main or well to the house, an old iron well pressure tank, a water heater vessel or an old expansion tank.

As a rule the rust is affixed to the pipe or vessel walls fairly soundly and it doesn't move much but whenever the water is shut off and the system drained for maintenance you can expect some of the rust to be dislodged when the water is turned on again.

Generally if you let the water run about 20 to 30 minutes it will flush clear.

Aside from being very unsightly it generally does not pose any serious health risk.

o

Sounds to me that you have old galv. pipe where the new addition is connected, there is no way to fix this without getting rid of the galv., that means that it all has to come out including the underground supply. Sorry for the negitive, lots of luck.

"If all else fails, read the directions"

o

I am assuming you are on well water, right? Nearly all natural water sources have some iron in it. If you have city, rural or any other centralized public water system, then another solution may be required.

What is iron as far as water treatment is concerned? Iron can come in a number of ways: Ferrous, ferric, bacterial/organic, or colloidal.

Ferrous (clear water iron, soluable, fe++, dissolved) iron comes from the ground clear but is still present. It will cause no iron problems as long as it remains dissolved, except maybe for odor and taste. But as soon as it becomes Ferric (rust, ferric-oxide, insoluable, Fe+++, solid) iron is causes stains and can become more than just a bother.

Bacterial (iron reducing bacteria-IRB) can most likely be seen in the toilet tank as a slimmy, gelatinous muck on the wall of the reserve tank. Take your finger and slide it across the tank's wall, if it feels slimmy and comes off on you finger, chances are you have bacterial iron and chlorination may need to be done, initially.

Colloidal iron is rare and very difficult to remove. It is notied by a slight rosey tint to the water and its specific gravity is so similar to water that it doesn't easily settle out. Think of milk as a colloid: how long would it take for the milk to seperate from the water and settle to the bottom of the glass?

Most likely you have ferrous iron. If is oxidizes, it will turn to rust.

As mentioned before galvanized piping can create iron problems. Look at the pipes on your water heater. Many companies still use galvanized pipe (about 2" in length) at the top of the heater. Also, it may be found near your pressure tank.

o

HELP MY SHOWER AND MY TUB ARE TOGETHER WHEN I TURN MY SHOWER ON THE WATER IS CLEAR BUT WHEN I TURN THE TUB ON THE WATER IS RUSTY WHAT CAN I DO CLEAR MY WATER.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here