Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too much heat.

Posted by furnone (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 23:33

My daughter's room, about 12 x12, has baseboard radiators on the two outside walls and is too hot for comfort. I was thinking of pulling the fins off the radiator on one wall and covering the pipe with pipe insulation. Is this a good solution? Any other ideas?

Thank you,
Ed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too much heat.

I'd install metering valves to be able to adjust the hot water flow rates.
Restricting the air flow around the radiator will also reduce the heat output, but I wouldn't pack insullation around the pipe.
Ripping out fins seems a bit too permanent for me.

o

Thanks Randy.
First, I do want a permanent solution, as this has been a problem in this room for the 36 years that we have lived here.

If I install metering valves, won't that restrict flow on the entire loop that supplies three other bedrooms?

I think there is just too much radiation for the room size.

Ed

o

eliminating the fins will do the trick. Just grab them with some needle nose pliers at the tubing and twist. If you put insulation in there, use the hi temp fiberglass type you see on commercial systems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here