Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feedback requested: plumbing quote from GC

Posted by babushka_cat (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 29, 10 at 22:06

In prep for a kitchen remodel on my 1942 cottage my GC is doing some preliminary plumbing work this Wed: replacing water heater to tankless which will allow us to eliminate an exhaust flue running up the back of a kitchen cabinet and upgrading some of original galvanized plumbing to copper. (we cannot do all of the galvanized due to the phasing of the project, some will be done during kitchen remodel)

the contractor makes reference to a 1" bell and 1/2" lines. is this is an acceptable design solution. any concerns with this approach i should be aware of? i appreciate any feedback you have. i have an existing irrigation system connected to one of the hose bibs - any worries about this functioning correctly after this plumbing upgrade? scope of work is listed as follows:

COPPER SUPPLY
provide and install 3/4" copper to a riser at front of residence

provide and install a shut off ball valve at exterior of residence

provide and install a 3/4" to 1" bell (what is a bell - any issues with going to 1" from 3/4"?)

re-install electrical ground clamp

provide and install 1" copper line from shut off valve to water heater

provide and install 1" x 1/2" T's for front hose bib, bathroom and laundry cold supplies

provide and install 1/2" hose bib for front hose bib

provide and install dielectric connectors at all ties of existing galvanized to new copper (this is in reference to the galvanized lines we cannot yet abandon due to the phasing of the construction work)

TANKLESS

remove existing water heater
provide and install 1" gas line from meter to water heater location
provide and install Takagi TK3
provide and install isolation valves
provide and install condensate drain
provide and install tie to new 1" supply line
provide and install tie to existing distribution
provide and install stainless steel ductwork from water heater to exterior of residence
provide and install flue exterior wall termination

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feedback requested: plumbing quote from GC

Sounds fine.

A 'bell' is a short increase in pipe size done so that a pipe of the same diameter can fit into it. In your case the plumber is upsizing from a 3/4" diameter water service pipe to 1" distribution pipe once inside the structure.

That's a good practice to increase flow to fixtures.

Installation sounds fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here