Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
russ14

Is the Salt for Kinetico Water Softeners a special type?

russ14
13 years ago

We have a Model 4040s Kinetico Reverse Osmosis Water Softener and Drinking Water system installed in our house. It is the system with the quad resin tanks and a large cleaning brine tank.

We are wondering if there is something special about the type of salt that needs to be used in the Cleaning Brine Tank for it?

All we get when we have asked Kinetico, is "talk to the dealer that installed it" - we know they can deliver it at a cost of $20/bag and 5 bag minimum, but that seems quite excessive as opposed to buying it at a Home Depot, Lowes or the like, if possible.

Comments (16)

• asolo
    13 years ago

Been using store-bought Morton salt-briquets for my two Kinetico units for more than 18 years with the dealer's blessing. Just switched out one of them to four-tank unit like you have. Using same stuff...re-loaded in by the installer.

Don't worry about. You're fine. $20.00 per bag is nuts. I got five bags free with the new unit. Will not continue when used.....which will probably take two years.

• russ14
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Asolo. I am presuming you are referring to Morton's "System Saver Pellets", which for anyone else near a Sam's Club, is available in 40 b. bags for $3.98 US each.

• andy_c
    13 years ago

I'm not so sure about the 'iron fist' statement. Actually, they leave us alone and rarely make calls or give directions on how or what to sell. They have no influence over pricing but do insist on proper settings and ethical behavior.

Any high quality salt is recommended; avoid solar and rock salts.

• asolo
    13 years ago

I yield to andy c instantly. He's in the bus. I'm not. And I've read his posts for years and have learned to respect his advice.

I should have said "So it appears to me." or something like that. All I know is every enquiry of any kind to Kinetico has always been referred down to my local dealer. To their credit, upon receiving notice of my enquiry from corporate, they have always responded directly to me with interest and expertise. Clearly somebody's paying attention. i like that.

• andy_c
    13 years ago

Some dealerships, however, can be run with an iron fist as they are very independent and privately owned (except for three company stores). Prices, commissions, installations and follow up service can vary widely from one dealership to another.

• Michelle Johnson-Smith
    7 years ago

ok I'm wondering what to do now.I put solar salt in my kinetico water softener and I was told by the dealer to use "rock salt only" but it's not available in my area. Will this harm my system?

• User
    7 years ago

It will be fine. In the long run you'll be better off using pellet salt because it is slightly higher purity. However, even with the lower purity salt, the only issue you are likely to see is buildup in your brine tank, which can be mitigated by cleaning it out every couple of years.

• Michelle Johnson-Smith
    7 years ago

how do you clean it out? Thank you for answering my question! Have a blessed day.

• User
    7 years ago

Just wait until the salt is low, scoop the rest out either scoop or wet-vac out the water and wipe out the tank. Then refill with fresh salt, add ~2 gallons of water for each cubic ft of resin and you're good to go.

• HU-440343818
    5 years ago

Hi, I have a Kinetico water softener, I notice that my tank was needing Salt, I went to Lowes and I bought Morton Salt Crystals because I notice that this looks like in the bottom of the tank than pellets, is this ok? or should I buy Morton Salt Pellets?

• Bruce in Northern Virginia
    5 years ago

There used to be other companies that always referred customers back to the local dealer for support, but I think this business model will continue to decline. With continued expansion of purchasing over the internet, folks are now used to having direct information available, and they do not want to go back to a local dealer for advice. This model also puts the company at the mercy of local dealer quality and support, and the company has to absorb any ill will created by working with a bad local dealer.

Bruce

• Russell Wilson
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I should hope the business model doesn't go away. This business model stops competitors from slashing prices to get to the bottom common denominator. Working in trade shows this was the standard. At first your making money. Then everyone jumps in now nobody is making money. What happens next is the product becomes cheaper and knock offs are made to bring back profitability to the business.

• HU-872188012
    3 years ago

I've been using Morton (Green bag) rust remover salt in my Kinetico softener for over 7 years now, and it works just fine! The price of Kinetico salt is a rip-off!

• Jake The Wonderdog
    2 years ago

@aquahow The above is spam and is only intended to drive traffic to his website. The website itself appears to be written by bots - it makes no sense and provides no usable information.

• PRO
    aquahow
    2 years ago

@Jake The Wonderdog Thank you for your update. I have culligan water softerner and filter. with this site instructions I resolved some issues in my filter. that's why i trust this site. I didn't read that article completely. but that site have lot of information for me.