Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is the Salt for Kinetico Water Softeners a special type?

Posted by russ14 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 8, 10 at 21:43

We have a Model 4040s Kinetico Reverse Osmosis Water Softener and Drinking Water system installed in our house. It is the system with the quad resin tanks and a large cleaning brine tank.

We are wondering if there is something special about the type of salt that needs to be used in the Cleaning Brine Tank for it?

All we get when we have asked Kinetico, is "talk to the dealer that installed it" - we know they can deliver it at a cost of $20/bag and 5 bag minimum, but that seems quite excessive as opposed to buying it at a Home Depot, Lowes or the like, if possible.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is the Salt for Kinetico Water Softeners a special type?

Been using store-bought Morton salt-briquets for my two Kinetico units for more than 18 years with the dealer's blessing. Just switched out one of them to four-tank unit like you have. Using same stuff...re-loaded in by the installer.

Don't worry about. You're fine. $20.00 per bag is nuts. I got five bags free with the new unit. Will not continue when used.....which will probably take two years.

o

Thanks for the feedback, Asolo. I am presuming you are referring to Morton's "System Saver Pellets", which for anyone else near a Sam's Club, is available in 40 b. bags for $3.98 US each.

o

Yes...that's the product.

Kinetico's cranky this way. They rule their dealers with an iron fist and refer everything to them. I've got a good one, at least. Hope you do, too. On the bright side, they make good stuff that performs and lasts. At least it has for me for almost two decades, now.

o

I'm not so sure about the 'iron fist' statement. Actually, they leave us alone and rarely make calls or give directions on how or what to sell. They have no influence over pricing but do insist on proper settings and ethical behavior.

Any high quality salt is recommended; avoid solar and rock salts.

o

I yield to andy c instantly. He's in the bus. I'm not. And I've read his posts for years and have learned to respect his advice.

I should have said "So it appears to me." or something like that. All I know is every enquiry of any kind to Kinetico has always been referred down to my local dealer. To their credit, upon receiving notice of my enquiry from corporate, they have always responded directly to me with interest and expertise. Clearly somebody's paying attention. i like that.

o

Some dealerships, however, can be run with an iron fist as they are very independent and privately owned (except for three company stores). Prices, commissions, installations and follow up service can vary widely from one dealership to another.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here