Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mansfield Toilet Valve?

Posted by yogacat (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 21:08

My rather old toilet was continuing to run when flushed. I thought the fix was easy. The previous owner used a paperclip instead of a chain with the trip level. Upon closer inspection, it's more complicated. I've never seen innards like these. The toilet doesn't have a normal flapper. It has a completely different kind of assembly that appears to the be a Mansfield toilet valve with a horn and bell. When the horn and bell are lifted, even with a chain instead of the balky paperclip, the mechanism doesn't drop back into place as it should after the water flows into the bowl. Is there some way to fix this? If not do I need to head off to the plumbing supply shop to find obscure fittings and have fun learning how to replace them or can I tear out this stuff and replace it with the common flapper type of assembly?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mansfield Toilet Valve?

Post a picture of the valve.

It sounds like an old vertical ball type system.

Check to see if the guides for the wire holding the ball are clean and smooth, and it the wire attached to the ball is also clean,smooth, & straight.

If worse comes to worse you could just replace the whole thing (requires tank removal though).

o
RE: Mansfield Toilet Valve?

It's definitely not the old vertical ball system. I've repaired those before.

I've attached a link to a sketch of the Mansfield toilet valve. I can't find anything that's binding, so I suspect that a fine layer of mineral deposits is making the valve sticky. I'll just replace the puppy and be done with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sketch of a Mansfield toilet valve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here