Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Installing toilet on uneven tile floor

Posted by lidebbie (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 8, 07 at 19:34

Hi - could someone please tell me if there is something that can be used as a shim (other than plaster of paris)to help with an uneven tile floor?? The floor is off by 3/8 of an inch in the back half of the toilet. This is a new toilet installation and I would rather not use plaster of paris as it yellows with time. Also, the tiles were just installed and fixing them is not an option.

Thanks so much, Debbie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Installing toilet on uneven tile floor

Plastic shims will work. Cut them so they stay hidden under the toilet.

o

They are available at hardware stores, but I haven't seen them in HD or Lowe's.

o

Thank you both so much. We will get some today. Again, Thanks, Debbie

o

I use a piece of 1/2 ins.copper pipe 1/2 long flatten it put under toilette.seal it to hide it.If you seal all around the toilette leave about 1 ins at the back not seal,that way you will know when your toilette leaks.(in the future.)

o

i used a couple of roofing shingles for a shim on mine, but i only had to deal with 1/4" on one side.

o

I used the little clear plastic surface protectors that you use on lights, etc. to keep them from sliding. They have several benefits: they are self-stick, so stay in place on the toilet, and can be cut to fit the bottom rim of the toilet. In one case, the actual dot was too high, but the sticky plastic sheet that connects the various dots was just the right height (about 1/8') The link shows one kind, but you can buy them at any hardware store.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scratch Guard

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here