Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Move washer vent to another existing one and abandon old?

Posted by kirsch92 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 7, 10 at 18:56

I am pushing a wall back in a laundry located above my garage.
I need to move the supply, drain and vent lines for what I am doing.

Currently the washer is on a 2" drain that drops down the wall between the garage and the house. It has a 1.5" vent. Nothing else is serviced by this drain and vent.

My problem is the vent. I don't wish to change where it penetrates the roof just to move it over a foot into the cavity on the left for my needs. I was going to use a short horizontal (1 foot) run to offset it, but the roof has no attic space above, so to move the pipe I would have to notch or drill a hole in the sloped 2x4 part of the truss to get it there and allow for sheetrocking..

That same cavity on the left would allow me to run the vent up into the attic of the rest of the house and use a horizontal run of about 12 feet to tie into another vent that is a 2" vent servicing the upstairs bath (1 sink, 1 toilet, 1 tub/shower combo) and the downstairs powder room ( 1sink, 1 toilet). This seems like the easiest option to me. I would glue a cap on the abandoned vent up on the roof, and fill it with foam from below. cut it off and sheet rock it over, until I could pull the entire jack out whenever I re-roof.

Are there any limits on number of fixtures tied into vents?
Anything special about a cloths washer drain and vent. I know about drain pipe height and p-trap positioning, no problems I can see there.
Or any other things I am missing?
My other option is to cut into the insulation and 45 it down inside the insulation to the new back wall (pink insulation)

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vent line with cavity I need it in on left

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Move washer vent to another existing one and abandon old?

Kirsh:
Shouldn't be a problem cutting a tee in that vent for the powder room plumbing you are describing. There are limits on the total number of fixtures on a vent, but you will never exceed those limits in a regular residential home. There is nothing special about a chothes washer vent. It can be combined with any other venting in a home.
I see on your drawing showing a laundry tub in the garage. Are you moving the clothes washer plumbing down there as well? If you are adding that laundry tub and leaving the chothes washer above, I would suggest running a vent down there for the laundry tub.--The Captain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here