Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kudzu9

Two P traps?

kudzu9
11 years ago

I'm putting in a powder room (toilet and vanity) in the corner of a large (400 sqft), stand-alone studio room that is on a slab; I was thinking of having a shower, too, but changed my mind. The plumbing was all roughed in when the house was built about 10 years ago. All the plumbing comes up through the concrete and the vent/waste pipes are capped off about 2' above the floor level. I have a 3" vent stack, a 1-1/2" waste line, a 4" toilet flange, and three cold water supply lines.

I removed the knockout from the 1-1/2" drain line and shined a flashlight down; it goes about a foot under the concrete. I tested it by pouring about a gallon of water down it, and it flowed easily, but there was no water showing at the bottom after the pour, which means there is no P trap, or it's situated further along. I have three neighbors who have the identical house and their houses came with a small bathroom already installed in this studio room, and each of them also has a bathtub or shower installed in this area, so I am assuming they have no problems with the drains.

In the area I'm adding a powder room to, I either have a P trap that I can't see, or the plumbing was done wrong. I have a walk-in shower on a slab in a different area of the house, and I pulled the drain cover and can see that it has water at the bottom, so it does have a P trap in the usual location.

Since the new sink will have its own P trap right below the bowl, does it matter if there is a second P trap below the concrete somewhere? I assume that it wouldn't make any difference in operation of the sink if there were two P traps, but wanted to check.

Comments (2)