Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do this water softener setup make sent

Posted by icewater (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 3, 10 at 17:08

Hello all
I would like to get some advice before I buy this new water system and do it right the first times
I have been reading this and other site for about 2 week now I�m ready to order.
2 adults in the house would like a Jacuzzi in the future maybe
2 full bathroom
Water Test
Hardness -17
TDs -323mgL
PH -7.8
Iron-0
Manganese-0
Light Tannin
We do have Hydrogen Sulfur
The old system was stole right before we were ready to move in the home (softener,2 pressure tank , aeration tank )
I�m thinking of buying these parts
1. Fleck 7000SXT Metered 40,000 Grain High Flow Water Softener (maybe a bit of over kill)
2. Pyrolox Plus Sulfur, Iron & Manganese Filter, Non-Chemical, 1.0 Cu Ft
The 9" x 48" 10-year warranted tank houses 1.0 cubic feet of media
Requires a minimum of 9 gpm well pump flow rate
How call I determining well flow rate without a pressure tank install for the Pyrolox?
3. 20 Gallon Well Pressure Tank, 16" x 29"
If this setup make no sent pleases let me know, I had company come in and give prices from 2,500 to 12,000 dollars

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do this water softener setup make sent

Ice:
I am not familiar with that Pyrolox unit you are talking about, however 9gpm flow rate to operate sounds odd to me. I'm guessing it needs that for backwashing the unit properly. The easiest way to check the flow rate of your well is just connect a hose as close to the source as possible, open the it up and let it run into a bucket or two for one minute, and then measure how many gallons came out in that minute. I use a couple of 5 gallon buckets to measure. For example, if it fills one in a minute, it puts out 5 gallons per minute. If it fills one and half of another, 7 1/2 gallons, etc. I can usually guage how many gallons by how much is in the buckets.
I'm guessing your well doesn't put out that much, usually you need a big well pump to put out 9 gpm, and most homes usually have a 1/2 hp pump that puts out 5-6 gals per min or less. Just changing the tank will not increase your GPM, you may have to update the pump, or get a different system for dealing with that Hydrogen sulfur.
40,000 grains for 1 cubic foot of resin sounds strange to me also. Usally 1 cu ft of resin equals 30,000 grain. Unless they have some 'special resin' that has a greater capacity.
40,000 grain is probably a little overkill for 2 adults with that hardness, rule of thumb is 50 gallons per day per adult, so 100 gallons per day, times the hardness of 17, so 1700 grains of hardness per day, with a 40,000 grain softner, you should be able to go 23 days before regenerating! I wouldn't recommend going that long before regeneration, most don't recommend going any more than 10 days. With that metered head it should regen accordingly anyway. If you get that Jacuzzi tub it would add to your total water usage each time you use the tub, so the extra capacity would be nice.--The Captain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here