Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drain noise following re-install of Insinkerator disposal

Posted by daytime (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 14, 10 at 16:58

The disposal was moved from one drain to the other (left to right) of a double sink. It had been problem-free but just was on the wrong side for best cleanup. The work included getting bigger drain pipe as per code and replacing the filter on the nondisposal (left) side. When the glue for this work dried I noticed some new obnoxious noise from the left drain. Whenever water pours into either side of the sink the left drain makes noise.
When I told the plumber about the noise after several days he said he needed to check the air transfer gap. Would I need further expensive work or is this something that should have been taken care of under the original fee ($150 for 1/2 hour)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drain noise following re-install of Insinkerator disposal

"...replacing the filter on the nondisposal (left) side."

Drains do not have filters.

"...check the air transfer gap."

The what?

A dishwasher air gap?

It is pretty hard to tell what was done and needs to be done from your description.

o
RE: drain noise following re-install of Insinkerator disposal

What kind of new obnoxious noise? I'm thinking splashing/gurgling or wet sucking sounds as amoung the possible. If you can post a photo of the under-sink plumbing it might help with recommendations.
How long did you have to wait for glue to dry? It should have been near-instantaneous, and the plumber should have been able to check the quality of his work before he left.
Filter??? Air Transfer Gap???

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here