Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moving mobile home plumbing inlet 15 feet

Posted by stompoutbermuda (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 12, 11 at 16:27

Hi! I live in a mobile home and am doing some remodeling outside. One of the things I need to do is move my water inlet from near my outside water heater closet to the space below my kitchen window. Can I direct plumb the inlet (with a 15' galvanized pipe extention) to a hole that I will drill below my window and plumb it directly to the water pipe going to my sink? Would this continue to fill all the pipes in my house if I close off where it is currently plumbed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moving mobile home plumbing inlet 15 feet

My experience with mobile homes is extensive but from long ago. Back then, the supply piping was all the same size in the entire unit. On that basis, and if that is the case with your unit, your idea should work rather well. But the present supply near the water heater helps keep the pressure even between the hot and cold supplies. Moving the input point farther from the heater probably will make the hot water pressure lower than that of the cold due to pressure losses in the longer piping run. Will your idea work? Yes, but perhaps not as well as the system does at this time.

o

Okay! Thanks! The reason I want to move the inlet is because I want to install a whole house filter. But I will need to move the pipe so that it will be in a place I can stand up and have easy access to change the filters....... this would mean running the pipe from the main to 15' away and then through the filter and then back 15' to the original mobile home inlet.

Question... if I just run the pipe from the main another 15' and tap into the cold water pipe under my kitchen sink (which is on an outside wall) would my hot water heater still get water and would the pressure be compromised too bad?

o

The extra piping plus the filter will result in some pressure drop. Unavoidable. But the pressure may be adequate after the change- or it may not be. No way to tell from here. If you would call it "great" at this time, it probably will be OK later.

o

So I can just plumb the main straight into my kitchen sink cold water inlet and it will still flow to my water heater and everywhere else after I cap off the current inlet?

o

Water will flow in a pipe in whatever direction some force pushes it. Only an on-site evaluation by a experienced person can predict the effect on pressure.

o

Thank you Bus Driver!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here