Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olychick2

1 1/2" drain for washer

Olychick
9 years ago

I posted a couple of years ago about trying to relocate my washer and dryer because the 1983 size laundry room will not accommodate the size of today's appliances (can't open the exterior door because new w/d will overhang the space). I've tried every imaginable solution, including putting it in my freestanding shower space and adding a shower to the tub, but the logistics of that is impossible, because there is no way to reach the back of the machines to install.

My house was built as a duplex (but has only been used as a single dwelling, so there is plumbing rough-in upstairs (off the room I use as a master bedroom) for a second kitchen. Hot and cold water and vented drain for kitchen sink. Never used. It would be a perfect spot for the W/D but the drain is the 1983 standard 1 1/2". My current washer drains to the 1983 1 1/2" drain in the utility room. I have HE appliances so they use very little water.

I know code is 2" now, but what I want to know from you experts is whether a 1 1/2" drain would really be a problem. I can have the work done without inspection, my house will never be sold (for years and years), etc. so that is not my concern.

There must have been a reason code was changed to 2" but with the low water use of today's appliances, I just can't imagine it would discharge the volume to overwhelm a 1 1/2" drain. Even the old water hog appliances worked fine in my current 1 1/2" drain.

Please tell me if this will or won't work, in your opinion.

Comments (8)