Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmgch

main line water filtration?

lmgch
9 years ago

we are doing a fairly large reno of our first floor and full reno of our basement. at the moment we've got a little culligan filtered tap at our kitchen sink - i'm honestly not sure how it works, but i do know it's small and the water flow is limited. i also know that it makes our water taste a million times better. we do also have a water softener through culligan that takes salt.

we live in NNJ and the water in our town tastes awful and has tested to be hard - though how hard, i'm not sure.

given the reno, we are hoping to add filtered water to at least five locations including various kitchen sinks and pot filler and sink in basement bar.

i'm wondering what my best options are for filtering multiple locations - i would really rather not have tanks under each of these locations.

i've read about the aquasana rhino (softener and filter combo), puriteam and a few others. my plumber says a few of his clients recently have used a main line system from ametek. he says they report that they're very happy with the system, but other than doing the install he has no personal knowledge about it.

would love any feedback on brands/options to help me figure this out.

many thanks

Comments (5)

• klem1
    9 years ago

Brands? Ask your neighbors and others on same water supply. Options? Simply have plumber install 1 whole house unit DOWNSTREAM of where water heater supply splits off main.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks, klem. so, i've asked many people in and around our neighborhood - and not one person has put anything in. many get poland spring water deliveries. so...i am hoping someone here can help me understand benefits of various brands... it would be most appreciated - google research is murky because the reviews are so varied.

with regard to your suggestion about installing downstream, if you could help me understand (sorry if this is dense) - are you saying to filter only the heated water? or only the unheated water? or downstream from the heater means filtering all the water and then some of it will go into heater and some of it won't? again, sorry if this is a really dumb question. I'm trying to learn as best as I can about all this stuff.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bumping with hopes that someone will weigh in??...

• klem1
    9 years ago

Sorry bout useing a term you aren't familar with. DOWNSTREAM in this case simply means all water except that which is routed to heater,,,,,, Visualize the single supply pipe coming from crub and entering your house. Once inside house,a tee (fork,split,converter,) is installed on supply pipe causing a portion of water to exit supply and go into water heater while the remaining portion of water continues to run to every single COLD water tap in the home. After the water splits,the two never remix until in the sink or tub. It is this water which is routed to cold facuets that is to be filtered. I don't understand why filters arn't popular in your town if water tastes so awful. The water where I live is great so I have no first hand reccomendations on which filter preforms best.

• lmgch
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks so much for the explanation! another possibly silly question - why wouldn't I filter all the water, including that which gets heated? I just did a quick google to see if I saw anything fast about filtering hot water...i didn't see anything expressly saying you aren't supposed to, or don't need to, filter the hot

as for why others aren't filtering, i'm sure some are, but not many I guess. I did post to my town's FB page and got one person who said they installed and several others who said they were following the thread to see what recos were offered.

frustrating. thank you anyway for the help understanding the set up!