Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corolla2

Can this faucet be fixed?

corolla2
11 years ago

Due to kids being rough, the faucets on my bathroom sink were broken right off. It appears that a plastic inner cylinder or tube was snapped off in each faucet, revealing a screw at the top of the faucet that held this plastic thing together.

Is there any way these faucet handles could be fixed?

Comments (12)

• corolla2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is what the inside of the faucet handle looks like.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

Probably not for less tan a whole new set.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Yeah. A whole set isn't going to cost that much and will look nicer than the broken "porcelain" handle shown there anyway.

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

Looks like both some plumbing and some parenting need to be done.

• corolla2
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is the risk of posting to forums, as you can sometimes get hurtful and/or sarcastic comments from members (this means, you bus_driver and kirkhall). The faucets have been broken for years, and the kids have since moved out and gone away. This was one disaster, and we feel we parented them just fine. We didn't have money to replace them, but now as empty nesters we do.

I was looking for suggestions on how to repair the faucets, not nasty comedy club retorts.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Mine was a sincere, not meant to be hurtful, comment. Faucets are rather inexpensive and are fairly DIY friendly. I think replacing them is the best way to go rather than try to patch them up with cement that will cost at least 20% of the price of a well-functioning, aesthetically pleasing, faucet.

Sorry you took my comment harshly. It wasn't meant to be.

• bus_driver
    11 years ago

I am responsible for my post, but others are responsible for their reactions to the post. The original post indicates that all the "disassembly" shown is the result of rough handling. And it indicates no time frame for when the damage occurred. What I see in the photos is damage to the extreme.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

"This is the risk of posting to forums, as you can sometimes get hurtful and/or sarcastic comments from members" ...like yourself!

I've been thinking about your comment as well as mine.

And, while you may not have liked my "" around porcelain, they were accurate--I cannot tell what that material was in your fuzzy picture. And, it wasn't personal against YOU.

UNLIKE YOUR COMMENT ABOVE, which was personal.

The real hazard in posting on a public, anonymous forum is that you'll get someone you are trying to help out who woke up on the wrong side of the bed call you inconsiderate.

The hypocrisy.

• greg_2010
    11 years ago

While bus_driver's comment could either be interpreted as a joke or as a dig at the OP (I interpreted it as a joke), I really can't see how kirkhall's comment could be interpreted as anything but helpful. He didn't say anything differently than brickeyee other than to point out that the current tap has some irreparable cosmetic damage.

• opajohn
    11 years ago

Okay, here's a constructive comment: I'm guessing the faucet is at least 10 years old. Faucet fashions change every few years and in my view, not for the better. Even when a design is current, it's difficult and expensive to find anything but the more common service parts. Unless the OP is handy at fabricating parts, I would also recommend finding a replacement that fits. There are still some around that aren't a fugly as most of the new new modern ones.

• homebound
    11 years ago

Ok, maybe the "parenting" comment would touch a nerve, but in a forum you could take a deep breath and laugh it off after 20 seconds, perhaps saying "it was one of those days" or whatever. Maybe this is one of those Mars vs. Venus things.

I joined another contractor forum this week and boy did I touch a nerve over there on my first day with what I thought was a fair question on folks asking for referrals. Without rehashing it, let me just that my thread had over 200 responses on Sunday alone, some of them blasting me, my "business", etc. while others seeing what I was getting at. Anyway, I ended up being on friendlier terms even with what were the blunt, harshest responders, but I needed that deep breath and pause.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

IF you can find parts, it is likely to cost as much (or more) than a new faucet.

Just replace the whole set.