Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
which way should tap handles turn?

Posted by bickybee (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 18, 11 at 15:19

Can someone please tell me if there is standard direction handles on a faucet should turn when there is a separate hot and cold handle and one faucet? On my bathroom sink they both turn toward the middle. On my bathtub they both turn to the left. I wish they all turned in the same direction.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: which way should tap handles turn?

I don't know if there is a standard, but I like that mine point out to the side and turn to the middle to go on, even though they turn in opposite directions. I can get them both on with an elbow without the spout getting in the way. I also think it looks better that way, but I'm sure that's a personal preference.

o

Either way you like them to point, most cartridge faucet knobs can be independently reversed (inverted) to please you.

o

On the bathroom sink round handles both turn counter clockwise to open. Lever handles both pull towards the front to open.

o

"On the bathroom sink round handles both turn counter clockwise to open. "

Only if you have cheap Chinese faucets.

Classically the hot and cold have turned in opposite directions.

o

I have a widespread faucet with cross handles. The were installed by a previous owner to turn as if they were levers. I'm a right-tight, left-loose kind of guy so it always made me crazy to turn the cold handle the "wrong" way.

I finally installed a "hot" catridge in the cold handle. Problem solved. I'm not sure if my cartridges are reversible as justalurker mentioned above but it doesn't matter because the cold side was dripping anyway and needed to be replaced.

o

"I'm a right-tight, left-loose kind of guy so it always made me crazy to turn the cold handle the "wrong" way. "

Having the handles turn in opposite directions has been used for a long time, and is even better with levers instead of knobs.

o

"I have a widespread faucet with cross handles. The were installed by a previous owner to turn as if they were levers. I'm a right-tight, left-loose kind of guy so it always made me crazy to turn the cold handle the "wrong" way. "

I had this problem as well - it arose because the faucets could be ordered with lever or cross handles, but the valves were the same either way (and not reversible). I had to order an additional one of the cold valve (or hot, forget which) to get them to turn correctly.

These were Grohe, so not cheap (although perhaps Chinese now).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here