Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Opinion on Grohe Plumbing

Posted by clg7067 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 15:11

I've been searching for a couple of months for something for my shower redo. I'm having a local plumbing firm totally renovate my walk-in shower. They have a recommended brand, I don't recall the name, but I wanted something more stylish.

I finally chose the Grohe Essence trim and corresponding valve. I met with the owner today and showed him my choices. He said that if anything went wrong with the Grohe, "down the road", that it would be harder to fix.

Should I be worried?

Here is a link that might be useful: Grohe Essence Shower

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Opinion on Grohe Plumbing

"Should I be worried"? Simple answer - yes.

Keep in mind that Grohe is German made, and, like all other German made products, are over engineered.

Speaking firsthand, my sister-in-law had a Grohe kitchen faucet (Original cost $500) and the internal cartridge caused external casing to crack. Cost of repair part $250.

Almost $1,000 dollars invested in something so simple.

I think I would stick with Moen or the like.

o

We have 3 Grohe faucets in our home, one is 15 yrs old. I did all the remodeling, and installed the faucets / shower mixer. We are quite pleased with the performance of the products. They have a complete service center (I think in Illinois) and you can get any part for free - as long as you are the original owner, and have the receipt.

IMO, they are not over engineered, but rather thoughtfully designed. It's my opinion that many 'plumbers' would rather not read, install the units improperly, and then blame the product.

For instance, the shower mixer we purchased can be completely serviced from the front. It has integrated shut off valves, so you don't need to install any in the wall. It also came with installation templates for tiling. The downside is that you should read and understand the 4 - 5 pages of documentation that comes with the valve.

o

I downloaded the instructions. There are a few pages. ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here