Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The right glue or caulk

Posted by robertz6 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 15:07

I am looking for a glue/compound to connect a plastic valve to a 5 gallon bucket. First I tried silicone caulk, but that leaked in a day. Second I tried 2 part plumber's putty or epoxy, but that leaked in a day or two.

Then I remembered somewhere reading the pH of the liquid and or material in the bucket was 2.5 to 3.5. This is a fermenting compost material known as bokashi. The low or acidic pH reading would seem to be the cause of the leaking.

Any idea of a glue or caulk or other material to attach the two plastics together?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The right glue or caulk

Rather than trying to treat the symptom you might look to cure the disease... there are valves designed to be mounted on a tank that seal with an o-ring or a gasket.

o
RE: The right glue or caulk

Yup, look up barrel taps & drum traps. Since the side of the bucket is so curved, maybe an extra rubber washer or two will help make the seal.

The big box store also probably has something you can use, the connect to it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here