Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure switches

Posted by tdsmith (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 11 at 14:54

I replaced a pressure switch for my well and I noticed that it is a Low Pressure Switch. Does that mean it is not going to function as a regular pressure switch ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure switches

a well pump is a low pressure pump so you should be fine

o

Supply a bit more info or a model #.
You may have a low pressure cutout that trips if the pump fails to deliver the cut-in value in some period of time, as an attempt to save the pump motor in, for example, a low yield well.

o

Low pressure switches require a manual reset once the pressure drops, typically 10 psi below low cut in.

I've made the same mistake at my parent's house. It can be a pain in the butt if the power goes out and water pressure drops (trip to the well house, get down there with the snakes... and Swamp Thang... to reset the switch).

If you don't need it, get the standard switch without the low pressure cut out.

o

That low pressure cutoff might be a big help if a pipe bursts and the pressure drops below the cutoff point. Or if the well pumps dry and the shutoff keeps the pump from burning up. I have them on my pumps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here