Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what size and type water heater should I get?

Posted by erinb007 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 4, 13 at 14:15

Hi, I am buying a house that currently has a 50 gallon electric water heater. Its a 1400 sq ft ranch with unfinshed basement and there will just be two of us living there. I am installing a soaking tub that can hold 48 gallons to top of tub. I want to be able to take super hot baths and have extra to refill when water gets cold. I am having gas run to the house and switching to a gas furnace. Two questions: 1. What size water heater do I need. I don't anticipate any other things needing hot water when I take my nightly bath..no other showers, dishwasher, etc.
2. Should I switch to Gas?
THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what size and type water heater should I get?

I don't believe electric is ever cheaper to operate than gas for a water heater.
I'd stay with a 50 gallon WH and turn the thermostat to the hottest temperature setting. It can be turned down if there are periods where you aren't taking frequent soaks.
Also, have a whole-house anti-scald device installed,

o

I'd go up to the next size, like 65gl. You could consider an on-demand for the tub only, but that's going to cost you $$$$.$$

o

There are a lot of large tubs that can never be used due to lack of hot water. Or, there aremany short baths as there is no hot water to peak the tub once it cools off because the tank doesn't have the recovery rate to handle it.

Gas is absolutely the less expensive to operate. I'm a fan of tankless and just installed one in our new remodel (kitchen, 2 baths, laundry). They are not inexpensive but there is no energy consumption when you are not using hot water and for your tub, it is ideal. I have a bathfill controller on mine. I punch in 40 gal and 104* turn on hot only and the unit fills the tub with the 40 gal of 104* water, turns off the water and beeps to tell me my bath is ready. I mean, how could I do without that:) Pretty cool.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here