Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moving a toilet 101

Posted by kathfarr (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 18, 06 at 14:10

Hello - We are considering moving our toilet as part of a bathroom remod. The (wood) subfloor has already been removed because it needs to be replaced, so the drain is already exposed.

We are considering moving the toilet approx. 2 feet to allow for extra storage space in the room. We have heard two schools of thought about moving the toilet.

1) Don't do it because it is expensive and can be problematic.
2) It's not a big deal to move a toilet.

What are the mechanics involved in a toilet move? We have a limited budget for the remod so if it's cost prohibitive, we probably wouldn't do it.

We are very confused and would appreciate any opinions. TIA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moving a toilet 101

It depends upon a couple factors.

If you are moving it in the same direction as the floor joists go it may not be a big deal but if it requires going at right angle to the floor joists you will need to change the framing which can get rather expensive.

A toilet is required to have a 3" drain line.

Under the International Residential code a 3" line may run 12' from a trap weir to the vent, however if the line serves only a toilet it may run an indefinite length.

The Uniform Plumbing Code limits the length of a 3" diameter line to 6' from the toilet to the vent.

o

It is also a common practice to move a toilet during a renovation. Since you are down to the subfloor, it doesnt get any easier than that except, of course that you may have to cross into another joist bay, as LP noted. But, I wouldnt let this opportunity go by, if you want to gain the other benefits.

Depending on who does the work, it can have an extra cost attached to it. In this DIY forum, it could be a wash, cost-wise. Two feet is normally not a serious consideration. Think of the original design. Given an area to work with, virtually any layout is within the range of possibilities.

BTW, LazyPup, I am not sure if I understand the statement, " if the line serves only a toilet it may run an indefinite length." I think you have mentioned this before. The reason I ask: doesnt any installation for a toilet require hand-washing facilities, too?

Is it then reasonable to say the line serves on a toilet? Or, considering the modest sink drainage, would the two fixtures fall under that rule?

Pinoke

o

Under the International Residential Code if the toilet is on a separate branch from the main drain it does not require a vent. If it shares the branch with a shower or lavatory you must meet all the venting requirements.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here