Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Expert Opinion re Cellular White Pipe!

Posted by llhartsandcrafts (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 12:48

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel. I know nothing! The contractor, who is not a licensed plumber, put in a PVC pipe to attached to the toilet in a new position, about 6 feet away from the original location. He then said the floor has to be raised 3/4 so PVC can have proper pitch. I called in a licensed plumber to look, who works with a different contractor, who said the right way to do it is to lower the PVC pipe below the floor boards, not attach it to the original connection. He also said that the original contractor is using the wrong PVC pipe--it is white pipe that says "Cellular" on it--and he said that is for HVAC not plumbing, and is $5 a piece not $15. So is my original contractor using the wrong pipe to save money and misleading me?? I'm thinking of just moving toilet back to original position and keeping it simple (moving the toilet allows me to put in double sinks and vanity, which also means more plumbing work) but I want to know if I can trust original guy. Thank you!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Expert Opinion re Cellular White Pipe!

This is no job to go cheap on when you don't know what is required. Hire a licensed professional to do it right. He/She will; also get the required permit(s), which I seriously doubt has been done by this contractor. (Is he even a licensed contractor?)

o

It is always a bad idea to use generic contractors to do plumbing work. Same for electrical.

o

The pipe must be marked ASTM F 1488 and/or ASTM F 891. If it has that marking, it meets code. This is an opportunity to verify how truthful the licensed plumber has been with you. I just suspect that the pipe there does meet code-- but some aspects of the installation may not. If the licensed guy is not being truthful it is time to find a third plumber.

o

Thank you very much for everyone's advice so far. I've learned my lesson. I'm now seeking a contractor who only uses a licensed plumber. I've wasted money on first guy and would still like to know if he used the right pipe or was trying to rip me off by using wrong pipe. He has since come and removed the extra piece of pipe that said "Cellular" on it. I lifted up the PVC pipe that has been installed (supposed to connect to new toilet) and these are the letters that I can see: ME 2010 Jan 26 17 2....and further down, maybe an O then an M then EAO. It also says in big letters "Nonpressure only."

To make matters more confusing, the second contractor's licensed plumber, who said this pipe was the wrong one, said I should put all new pipes in the bathroom but would use PVC. Then I brought in another contractor who said he would put all new pipes in the bathroom (original pipes are from 1950s) but should use copper pipes. I am going to get a permit on the job, so that should dictate what can be used. But would like expert plumbers' take on all this. Thank you so much!

o

Copper is mucho expensive. PVC and HDPE is much cheaper and also easier to work with if it has to be worked on again.

The ME 2010 Jan 26 17 2 etc are for showing when and who made the pipe. I think Cellular is the brand.

o

Cellular is NOT the brand name. "Non-pressure" is typically marked on DWV pipe. The ASTM number is the crucial identifying marking.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 22:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here