Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Electric coffee maker and scale build-up

Posted by david1948 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 16, 11 at 12:45

Good morning all... I have a Bunn counter top electric coffee maker...
In the water heating portion of the CM there is a build-up of scale, whick plugs the siphoning mechanism that drips water thru the coffee filter and brews the coffee..
Cleaning weekly is becoming a real chore...
Question.. Has anyone used a water conditioner, filter, reverse osmosis, that eliminates this problem ???.. i.e. Brita, Zero water etc..
There are no visible particulates in the water.. just lots of stuff that makes scale..
I moved this thread from appliances to here seeking more advice....Dave
PS... 4+ pots of coffee daily.... Softener removed awhile back...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Electric coffee maker and scale build-up

You have hard water. When the water is heated the calcium precipitates out of the water.

To cure the disease you need to treat the hardness with a water softener. Depending on the hardness and other things in the water you may also want to install a reverse osmosis (RO). I have a 20 year old Bunn and have never had to clean it and my water is 30 gpg hard.

The same scale you see in the Bunn is in every pipe, appliance, and plumbing fixture in your home.

Your first step is a water test... are you on a well or a water system?

o

We are on a water assoc... I received a water analysis some time back and can't recall what the hardness was...

o

You said "Softener removed awhile back"... why?

You were softening your water to remove the hardness. Then you removed the softener, Now you are complaining about scaling in your Bunn.

You have diagnosed the problem and had the solution.

Add-on filters do not remove hardness. If you install an RO on hard water you will be replacing membrane often and that is very costly.

Get your water tested and have a correctly sized and set up softener installed. Depending on the hardness and other things in the water you may also want to install a reverse osmosis (RO).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here