Return to the Plumbing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best toilet for non clogging

Posted by kidhorn (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 19, 09 at 12:38

The toilet in my kids bathroom clogs about once a month. The main problem is my kids diet, but I get tired of trying to make them eat raisin bran and am looking for a new toilet.

The existing toilet is a piece of junk that came with the house 20 years ago. My hunch is it probably cost $39.

I want to get a toilet that is resistant to clogging. I don't really care about having to flush twice, etc... . The problem isn't toilet paper. It's large hard droppings that can only be unclogged by drilling a hole an auger.

Within reason, cost is no object. Although I would prefer to spend less.

I'll be installing it myself and would prefer something that is pretty straight forward to install.

Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best toilet for non clogging

Almost all toilets install the same and simply. This question periodically comes up on this forum and there are a number of threads about it (just use the search function at the top of the page). Over the last 3 years, I replaced three crappy (sorry about that) toilets with Totos, and have gone from weekly unclogging to never. I believe the least expensive Toto is the Toto Drake which goes for about $250. There are other good brands out there, but I'm happy with my Totos.

o

I haven't had ongoing clogging problems, however I have an older, Kohler product that clogs from time to time. It's a regular flush not low flow and was fairly expensive at the time, about $250 Can 15-18 years ago. We replaced the other 2 toilets recently with American Standard Cadet 3 low flow units and we are extremely pleased. The way these units are engineered , they could suck a golf ball thru a garden hose ( just kidding ). Good luck with the replacement.

o

2 words.....Toto Drake
You wont be disappointed

o

ditto on the drake....or any toilet using that flushing mechanism

o

I feel that at times my teenage son could have clogged an outhouse. We have 2 Toto ultramax (a little more expensive than the Drake) and have yet to glog one. I can't recommend them more highly.

o

We have Totos. But I'd take a look at the CUWCC MaP Test results to help make your decision. Toto led the way early on (the Drake really does work well), but others have gotten a clue and caught up.

The appendix tables sorted by mfr are what you want for a smaller download. Unless you're interested in reading/seeing about the whole test setup.

Here is a link that might be useful: CA Urban Water Conservation Council MaP Testing

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plumbing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here