Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jtabler_gw

Replaceing 36 year old Electric Hot Water

jtabler
13 years ago

We moved in the spring to our 1974 built house. I just had an energy audit done to determine drafts. The guy was really pushing for a heat pump hot water heater due to tax credits and $300 rebate from the electric company, but our partially finished basement is usually a steady 68-62. I'm not sure the heat pump HWH would be a good choice for the premium, additional noise, and non-traditional requirements (space, drainage).

Our 36 year old Westinghouse 80 gallon tank works just fine. We've got hard water. I'm not sure if it's every been maintained. I'd like to replace it, but I'm reading really poor reviews of early failure of every model on sites like Lowes and Home Depot. Are these just cheap "builder's grade" choices. Does anyone have a brand/type that is really efficient to recommend? I'd like to be informed before I running to the plumber with any old choice. Perhaps I'll make it a DIY project.

I'm guessing everyone hear will say replace it now before it leaks, right? Maybe this thing will keep on running?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH